Horseradish and Garlic questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by .netDude, Jun 8, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

a couple newbie gardening questions:

My horseradish is going to seed. Should I remove the seed head? Can I plant the seeds?

There is a section of garden that has garlic growing like a hay field. It's about 2' tall, and really looks like it needs to be thinned. It's been growing unharvested for probably 5 years. What should I do with it? Should I dig it all up and separate the bulbs?

Thanks.

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about horseradish. I have a good link on garlic though help you figure out what kind it is and how to grow and harvest it. Came across it because I want garlic soooo badly (to ward off bugs in the garden and these mosquitos and for eating) but have to wait til fall to plant some. So here's the link: http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_vegetable_type_garlic.htm Let us know what kind u got and maybe post some on the barter board if you got that much. Good luck!

3. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

With the garlic most folks treat it like an annual. In our area (western PA) its usually planted around Halloween and harvested around July.

I've read about a guy who lets it go more like a perennial bed (like you've described) and leaves some it to redivide by itself. He just harvests for his use and to thin and leaves some bulbs in to replant themselves.

Garlic doesn't like to be out of the ground for long so if you want to pull it all after a few leaves start to turn brown (probably sometime in july) you can. Save some for seed which you can break into individual cloves to plant in October.

I wouldn't advise doing to thinning and replanting now since it doesn't fit into the garlic life cycle well

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I don't do wild garlic bulbs until fall, when the plant has fallen over and died. Then i take up the bulbs, wash and clean them, and let them dry. If I want to re- seed the area, I take apart the cloves and plant them then. I use them all winter long, then replant the broken apart cloves that are turning dark green or sprouting in the spring, so I have a supply all year long.I love wild garlic, it is much stronger in flavor and pleniful around here.