Horse Slaughter New twist

Discussion in 'Equine' started by haypoint, Mar 18, 2018.

1. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I'll assume that most people understand that horse slaughter in the US was stopped many years ago. A new wrinkle in this business has developed. The Japanese have a new delicacy. Raw, red meat from young Percheron Draft horses.
    Bought wherever they can, especially Horse Auctions, yeanlings, yearlings and a few 2 year olds, then shipped to feedlots to finish growing. At the right time, live, healthy Percheron horses are transported to Japan for their final fattening. This industry has pushed the value of these colts from $800 each to over $3,000 each.
    While people seeking to "rescue" horses from kill buyers, can do so for a few hundred dollars, the annual sale of 300 or more colts and fillies would overwhelm the pocketbooks and pastures of all but a few rescuers.
    This recent spike in prices has caused mare owners to breed in hopes of preventing the upcoming shortage in broke teams as well as supplying the new meat industry.
    For those with the room for rescuing horses, will you seek out arthritic, foundered, aged horses or will you save these healthy, young colts that will increase in value as they get older?
    Sort of a moral dilemma.

MomH likes this.
  2. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

What's the matter with horse meat for eating?

mekasmom, JoshuaM, nehimama and 3 others like this.

3. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

I'd like to know too. Why was horse slaughter stopped? Is it illegal? Who decides which animals are too cute to eat and which are ok. I assume back in the day people didnt eat horse if they could help it because they were so valuable as transportation and farm work. And also they probably don't taste so good.

Roane85, Lady89 and JoshuaM like this.
  4. dmm1976

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't think this is nearly as new as people think. The last I heard (when my youngest worked at the Calgary airport at the start of your slaughter ban), 3 domestic flights a week carrying live horses went to Japan but each week.

Two additional flights of live horses arrived from the US, documentation indicated that they were sold and shipped to a Canadian company and offloaded long enough to be moved to an international flight.

You are correct that the horses are all young and healthy with preference being under 5 years old.

stachoviak@msn. likes this.
  6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing at all, and if the live ship continues to raise prices all the better.

mekasmom and HeavyHauler like this.
  7. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

I've never had horse meat, but I would definitely eat it.

8. Irish Pixie

It's more that some people feel that horses are either pets, or "too majestic" to slaughter for food. And back in the day horses were eaten when they broke a leg or dropped dead in decent weight. I've eaten horse and it's good.

Here's a link to the bill: http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-resources/horse-slaughter-timeline.aspx

After the slaughter ban the price of horses dropped incredibly, and the cases of neglect skyrocketed. It was horrible. People who had no business owning a horse could find a fairly decent one for little or nothing, but had no money for proper farrier work, feeding, or vet care.

Lady89, nehimama and Nsoitgoes like this.
  9. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

While many people hate the thought of horses trucked to slaughter. There is another thread on this topic now, many want to rescue or re-home every home. Within the horse industry, many see the need for horse slaughter as a place for old, heavy, lame or crazy horses to be put to use. It also establishes a price floor, eliminating the cheap horses.

For young healthy horses to go to slaughter is the new twist. Many breeders of Percheron horses have bought quality mares and spent a lot of time and money locating a quality and suitable stallion. They take pride in the offspring from their farm and it reflects well on their farm when these horses go on to win Championships. While they openly accept that old, crippled or crazy horses go tom slaughter, they are not expecting them to be slaughtered young.

For a number of years the price of young Percheron colts was low enough that a person with some ambition could raise colts and train them and make a small profit. Now, with this quick up tick in prices, these guys can't afford to buy these horses. Currently the price of broke teams hasn't jumped, so there is no money in training horses.

As it is with all commodities, when the demand goes up, the price follows and then people move to fill the demand. That increased supply cools the price and people get out. With Percheron horses, people will breed lower quality mares and use lower quality stallions to produce lower quality colts that will sell for the same prices as the registered quality Percherons. Quality becomes less important. The breed quality will suffer. Not all of those low quality horses will go to Japan.

MomH and Nsoitgoes like this.
  10. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I see horse meat as just another meat and see nothing wrong with killing a horse for food

HeavyHauler likes this.
  11. dmm1976

Ok so any breeder who is breeding high quality for non food reasons wouldn't know who they were selling too? And honestly once it's out of their hands what business is it of theirs what happens to it. Also if someone decides to start breeding and selling lesser quality horses that aren't registered I'd assume that the person who was buying would research the lineage and if they didn't they wouldnt have a registered animal and that's the buyers fault.

I'd guess this is like puppies. Some people will sell puppies as a pure breed, but say they are unregistered but pure. Well Joe schmo buys one for the same price as a registered or a little less thinking he's saving money, obviously he woudnt be able to show that dog or breed it with a registered show dog. I mean I don't see the issue. Someone who wants a pure registered breed of anything needs to do their homework and make sure they know the lineage.

12. happy hermits

happy hermits Well-Known Member

We ate horse meat when I was young. I do not see anything wrong with horse meat. It sounds like buying any other animal. Do your research know what you are buying. I wish I could remember what it tasted like .

13. Clem

Clem Realist

I see a bright future in making really, really big buns.

14. oneraddad

oneraddad Non-Known Member

I ate some horse jerky a couple months ago just so I could say I did, tasted like teriyaki

We have so many wild horses in Nevada I think there should be a season with a two horse limit.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    HeavyHauler likes this.
  15. oneraddad

oneraddad Non-Known Member

I ate alligator on a stick in New Orleans just to say I did also, tasted and looked just like this.

[​IMG]

HeavyHauler likes this.
  16. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The dog analogy doesn't really work in this case and it's not like puppies at all unless someone is going to start eating all the young, large breed dogs.

When certain facets of the horse industry become brisk, it seems that people gravitate to heavy breeds, meat industries, pmu farms of the past, etc and this results in virtually no heavy horses available, or priced way out of the range of the average person.

My father came to own his team simply because a good friend passed away but pmu farms were in high production at that time and the good grade team would have sold for close to $10,000 on the open market.

Certainly, some buy papered horses based on lineage but others consider good grade horses with good conformation and temperament to be suitable to their needs. Not all heavy horse competitions required registered horses and guys who use heavy horses for farming, will be quick to tell you that papers don't make a better horse.

I'm not sure where you drew the conclusion that this is an issue that is an issue of lineage, bloodlines or lack of research because it's simply an observation of horse industry trends.

Irish Pixie, aoconnor1 and haypoint like this.
  17. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

What do they have against Belgian colts and fillies? Too bony?

18. Farmfresh

Farmfresh Well-Known Member

We need a better kill market for those minis that people LOVE to ruin. Maybe Pony Poppers?

nehimama likes this.
  19. Irish Pixie

Snerk. :p

20. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with Farmfresh. Something needs to be done with these substandard surplus mini horses. I am looking for young mini's that I intend to slaughter for pet food. I also plan to handle the carcasses as I do calves that we slaughter here, using electro- stimulation and then aging for an appropriate amount of time. The objective of this is to cut some prime filets off of the carcass to use for our table. Grilling season is almost here!

HeavyHauler likes this.