Horse slaughter ban creating new concerns

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Nov 27, 2005.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3486019.html

Earlier this month, Congress gave animal activists one of their biggest victories in more than a decade by enacting a temporary ban on horse slaughter, starting in February.

The fate of the 100,000 horses a year that otherwise would be sent to slaughter is an issue that has divided horse owners and horse-industry groups that have lined up on both sides of the debate.

Will slaughter be replaced by a greater cruelty as unwanted horses are left to starve in fields or shipped to Mexico, where neglect is rampant?

It is an issue of particular interest in Texas, which is home to more than a million horses, one-seventh of the American horse population.

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

That is just a stupid thing to do. Horses are not people - they are animals. If they have grown out of their uses, and can provide food or a source of income for someone, then the owners should be allowed to slaughter them or sell them to someone who will. I have heard that horsemeat is very tender and lean, but animal rights folks have made it almost impossible to buy in this country. Yes, horses are very useful and friendly creatures, but that doesn't mean that we have to elevate them to person status.

What next? Cows? Chickens? Goats?

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Seems to me you just drop them off in front of your local peta office and let them take care of them .

4. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

PETA does have a nice big freezer they use for animal carcasses when they kill the "rescued" critters themselves. Durned hypocrites.

I am soooo not a fan of PETA. Ever seen Penn & Teller's show?

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

There are two animals that I detest people eating- dogs and horses. I would like to see a ban on it here in Canada too. People would not be anywhere near where they are today without horses. Put them to sleep and cremate them, if you want, but don't send them to a slaughterhouse to be sit in line and wait while their fellow horses die, knowing what's coming for them. As for the other animals- they have not contributed nearly as much to our society as the horse has.

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I live and breathe horses, love them dearly, however, this slaughter ban is assinine. The increase in neglect cases is going to be staggering.

Stacy

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Horses are Meat animals Not pets I see No reason Not to butcher them for Human consumption., After they are old and infirmed they can still be used to Feed millions of people who need protein..

8. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

In other countries they do eat horses and dogs. More horses than dogs though. I don't see any problems. Horse meat should taste quite good.

9. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of horse experience but I have always loved horses and want to get a couple now that I have room. I am not rushing into it. I have a good income but I am weighing the cost and my time that I will put into a horse very carefully.

That said, here is what I don't understand and what confuses me. If a horse for whatever reason isn't fit for anyone's use anymore, and a home cannot be found for it, why can't the owner euthanize it? Is a humane solution so costly that the average horse owner can't afford it? That just doesn't make sense, if the vet service to euthanize the horse and the carcass disposal costs so much, how did the owner ever afford a horse to begin with?

10. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I'm curious, what does Penn & Teller have to do with PETA?

11. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Jane, a man has a horse he must dispose of.
    He can spend 400 dollars to get rid of it, or he can get 400 dollars to get rid of it. A difference of 800 dollars in his pocket. What confuses me is why you can't understand why he would make the choice he would make.

12. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can afford to buy and keep it, you can afford to keep it out of the slaughter barn when it's time is up.

I give it a year, max.

13. mom2girls

mom2girls mom2girls

Anyone ever eat dutch worst?? It is often horse meat. The dutch have always eaten it and honestly it is yummy. We eat a great dutch dinner of mashed potatoes, kale and worst about once a month. Really is it any diffent that eating that sweet looking cow?

14. GAchickenguy

GAchickenguy KS boy stuck in GA

Myself and my family love our horses and we personally dont eat horse meat. But next they will be saying what about all the poor little cows it is just terrible how they are trucked to the slaughter house and lead to there death. Where will it end? When we are all in our front pastures grazing with the livestock because it is illegal to kill any living creature? Jobs in this country seem to be getting fewer and fewer with all the businesses going off shore to find cheaper labor, that now we have to ban processing horses and put even more honest hard working people out of jobs. But hey to heck with people as long as we save all the animals heck lets go ahead and put the horses and cattle and all the other farm and pet animals on the endangered animals list cause were gonna eat them all up. If it were up to me I would start a PETA processing facility heck im sure somewhere in the world that some tribe or culture still finds human flesh taste and that way I can provide jobs for all the people who are loosing theres to save the poor endangered farm animals.

15. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think it is all a matter of tabboo's and perspective. i mean we have millions of unwanted dogs and cats in animal shelters all over the country. let's just eat them. i have had raccoon and squirrel and deer. how much different could the protein really be? meat is meat right?

when the family dog dies we can have a big pot roast and celebrate its passing. the kids will love that. (indigestion..."stay down, fido stay down"). personally i could eat a horse only if i had too. i have never bonded with a cow or a chicken or pig so i have no issues with eating them. some animals just seem more "sentient" than others. (to much star trek i know). i really would not like to eat dolphin or whale meat if i didn't need to. (sorry for the feeble attempt at humor, i think it is the triptophen in the store bought left-over turkey i ate)

some domestic animals were bred for meat and some for work. it is our ancestor's fault that horses now run wild in the west. we should do something to keep them from over populating and starving and dying from disease. i am sure harvesting is a part of this. but perhaps only in the short term. perhaps more land needs to be allocated to open range for the horses. perhaps birth control methods could be used as well. i do not think horse harvesting should be a long term industry but rather, a short term fix. i am sure there are many slaughter houses who would like the business and ranchers who would like the open range for grazing. we cannot all be happy. we need to balance the needs of the people with a responsible and respectful attitude for the horses and their current environmental role. they are a part of the eco-system now and we have to deal with it.

16. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I can afford to buy my horses, we paid cash, I can afford to keep them, they free range and get hay in winter, when I need to put them down, I may well shoot them and butcher them, with my gun and my bullet and cut the meat up with my knives, to feed my dogs and my pigs and my chickens. If I want to I may eat a steak or two. I should not be forced by law to spend money on disposing of a horse, that I can deal with myself. :nono:

17. 1sttimemom

1sttimemom Well-Known Member

Someone asked about the cost to euthanize & dispose of a horse. Well, I had one euthanized due to colic a couple years ago. The vet call and euthanazia was about $75. He did not charge an exam fee as it was obvious the horse was past fixing and was also well into his 20's. Then we paid someone with a backhow to dig a pit & bury him for $50. That was actually not terribly expensive. The one I lost before that was an older mare who i found dead in the pasture one day with no warning. In the area I was at the time we were not allowed to bury dead stock due to the ground water. It cost me $200 to have the mare hauled off. I adore my horses and would not personally send one to slaughter. However, I know people who'd rather run them through and auction or just turn them out until they coak rather than pay a vet & disposal fee. I think it makes no sense to ban horse slaughter for a number of reasons.

18. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

This law wasn't about euthanization of animals.... it was about horses being butchered for meat.

There have been scandals with folk adopting wild horses off federal land, and then selling them to a slaughterhouse just as soon as the provisionary period is over.... worse yet, some folk were caught selling them for slaughter before the ink was even dry on the adoption (illegal & in defiance of the agreement, but hard to catch people at).

There have also been scandals with folk buying or "accepting" horses under the pretext of giving them a good home.... then sending them to slaughter.

While this type of abuse is NOT typical of most horses sent to slaughter (most are sent knowingly by owners who simply wanted the money more than they wanted the horse to live), it PLUS many folks' squeamishness (city folk, mostly, I think) about the mere idea of butchering or eating horses gave impetus to this legislation. It's part of a longstanding trend, frankly.

19. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my sis just had one put down. she gives strays and unwanted animals homes when she can. this horse was sick for sometime but enjoyed its final days on our homestead. it cost her $50 to $75 for the vet to put it down and $150 to have it hauled away. (and she works for the vet) in the past her husband has buried them but could not due to health reasons. i do not know if we would even be allowed to bury it now that i hear of the groundwater concern.

20. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

Nope. This ban will only affect some 100,000 horses a year, NOT enough to "feed millions of people".

Plus, horsemeat steak is mostly an exported luxury item..... most of it is sold over into Europe. The people buying it are well off, more in need of a diet & some exercise than more protein.

All this ban will do is protect horses in the U.S. a bit more, make it harder for some people in the U.S. to dispose of unwanted horses, and raise the price of horsemeat in Europe a bit.

Right now, horsemeat is retailing in the Netherlands for $7.30-$9.70 per lb, so it's not exactly "people who need protein" who are buying it. (Just for the record, it trades for something like 80 cents a lb here in the U.S.)