Horse running the cows/calves

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BJ, Nov 10, 2004.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I posted this also on the "equine" form but thought cattle folks might have some thoughts too. We have an 18yr old appy gelding who is well trained, but spirited. He has, until today, been pastured by himself or with other horses. For the winter we wanted him to share pasture barn space with our cows and their calves. Today we caught him running through..busting the herd separating the cows from their calves. Is he playing...or will he hurt the calves? Is there anything we can do other than put him back in a pasture alone? Keeping one animal alone in pasture to feed & water will be a pain....something we would prefer not to do. We need suggestions on how to transition this horse to share food & living quarters with cows. :confused:

2. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

I'm hoping others will post to help you out here because I have never had luck running horses and cattle together. Although I see alot of folks around me who do it all the time. Now I only have a few head of cattle and three dairy cows but every time I put them with the horses it's nothing but trouble for me so I just keep them seperated.

I'm sure someone will answer that has had better luck than I have.

Good luck

Jim in MO

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have had the same problems. I have had a little calf killed by a horse. the only time I'll do it is if there are no calves and they have lots of room and plenty of feed space. The horses will guard the hay ring and keep the cows out of it. I usually only do it temporarily.

Jena

4. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

my father got a horse when he was 15 (my dad I mean). that horse didn't die until I was around 20. my grandparents always kept him with their pigs and cows, he was the only horse. grandma always laughed about how when curly decided he wanted to go to another pasture, he'd round up all the cows and pigs and make them go with him!

sorry, I know this doesn't help, your post just reminded me :)

5. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

Horses tend to get bored & like to 'play' with and herd other creatures, sometimes even to the point of being mean. :yeeha: Why do they sometimes do this??? Because they can. They can be the bully & pick on everyone else. My horse does (did) this to my cows....so I will not put him in with them & their pasture anymore. Some horses are fine with cows, and others are not. My horse even bit off 1/2 of one of my steers horns this summer. :( After I seperated them...he bit off 1/2 of a horn on the neighbors' bull calf--across a 5-strand barbed wire fence.
    He now has a alot smaller pasture by my pigs. He likes to reach his head in their pen--but they bite back he learned quickly!! (Serves him right for being a meanie!!)
    Yeah, it's a pain carrying water, etc to him...but I don't have to worry about him bothering/chasing the cows. They bring me $$ & food...whereas the horse drains my $$ & food!! LOL He's a good horse....BUT....I kinda look at it as he isn't 'earning' his keep. :( I can't afford 'pasture ornaments'!!!!!