horse of a different color

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Clara Bell, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

I'll be fifty in 4 months, finally got Dish TV up here after 13 years, and tonight I've been watching Dorothy and the Tin Man and all fall asleep in the poppy field and the rain came, they reached the Emerald City and now the lion is showing his fear. Watching the special effects before computers. I can't believe I'm still seeing new things as I watch.
    Like To Kill A Mockingbird. This growing old is not bad.
    What's your favorite?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Who you callin' old??? I got kids older than you are. We've been here over 50 years and still don't have a dish. To cheap I guess. I don't want to pay for stuff that is floating around in the air. That show is older than you are isn't it? I never have got around to watching the whole thing. I guess it was always on during my nap time. You Enjoy.

3. Clara Bell

Thanks uncle Will. I did enjoy. Dorothy got home safe, back to the farm. Again....
    Yes, you're right, I'm still a young thang. It's nice going on 50 and realizing it's true!!!!! Grandpa T is still a young thang turning 96 Dec 19th, he's flirting in assisted living and Grandma is probably getting a real big kick watching him from her viewpoint up there.
    I just remember a tv coming in the living room and was always wondering why my world on the farm was so full of color and all life in the box was B&W? It was unreal as a child seeing all that color when the whirlwind was over and she opened the door.
    I like having Dish. I live in a small hilly valley and can't get any reception. Cell phone is out of the question. It's nice knowing when bad weather is coming in and I can prepare. My brother in NC used to call me watching me up here on his weather channel (without need for dish) to let me know to buckle down.
    You might not have dish, but you have internet!
    Clara

4. wjoerob

wjoerob Member

Just turned 50 on Saturday, and feeling every bit of it since the temps dipped. About the dish, we're building a new house, and I had thought of giving the family satellite TV as a Christmas present, but here's the thing: I still have 3 kids at home, 16, 14 and 12. They spend too much time already zombie'd out in front of the garbage tube. And I don't want to have to spend even more time policing the channels they watch. Just like on computers, "Garbage in, garbage out." I find it too easy myself to veg out in front of it instead of getting things done that need doing.
    It's fine for you if you have your priorities in order, but I suspect people are right when they picture TV as the new worship altar in our homes.
    Wouldn't mind getting a satellite hookup for my computer...

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wish we had never got Dish. We managed fine before, but now, we think we can't live without it. Now, instead of having 6 channels & nothing good to watch, we have 180 channels & nothing good to watch & it costs $52 a month for the thing. Most of the shows that I like to watch are on the local channels anyway. :rolleyes:

6. Clara Bell

I'm not paying 52 a month, but I am getting more junk than I want and this is the budget plan. I can't get any local channels without dish because of my geo-location with the mountains blocking reception. I did finally figure out how to set up a favorites to list, so when I want to find something to distract, the list is what I choose. Not all those channels with all the junk? Maybe this would work for you?

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We had to get the 180 channels in order to get 5 or 6 channels that we really wanted like the Western channel, Hallmark, Outdoor Life, Discovery, etc. Then we have to pay $5.99 extra to get the local channels on it. We did the favorites---I don't think I could stand to have to go through everything on it to just get the few that are worth watching. My Dh is the TV nut.. I wouldn't suffer too much if we didn't have one.

8. Shadowood

Shadowood Member

I pay the $50 something for 180 channels just to get two things Sci-Fi channel for me (the only thing I watch is Stargate) and the Boomerang channel (cartoons) for my daughter.
    Mabey one day I will wise up and get rid of the satellite. Nah. :D

9. Clara Bell

OD, the local channels out here were furnished free, something with the air waves and government compliance, like a given?
    Like breaking the Ma Bell thing......
    Maybe you should cancel, and see what Dish has in your area, and get it again.
    I'm paying less than 30 and get the local channels because they have to furnish it.

10. Clara Bell

Shadowood, I'm getting Sci-Fi on mine.
    Dish has got some competition going on that has nothing to do with us.
    Something to think about.

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

i have 300+ stations on my cable, not including 40 audio stations.

12. Shadowood

Shadowood Member

Clara Bell, thanks. I have Dish Network and can get the Sci-Fi Channel on the cheaper plan but my daughter likes the old fashioned cartoons on Boomerang and I prefer her to watch those. So I guess you could say I pay $20 more a month for that one channel. :(
    Oh, I don't want to think about that. :D

13. Clara Bell

Shadowood, you reminded me why I got this in the first place, to keep a college student coming home for the summer from feeling like she was living in the wilderness all over again. You know how some kids seem to be born with a 'city' gene?
    But I've gotten used to it and it is nice knowing what's going on out there. Arm chair traveling to different places. Makes me happy I'm here. ;c)