Horse Manure Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HoosierDeb, Mar 10, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

How long does horse manure have to age before it can be used in the garden? My nephew has plenty of it available for me to use and next year I'll have my own plus that from the rabbits and chickens. If I take from the oldest piles which would probably be from last summer/fall, would that be old enough? It is in uncovered piles.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe the issue with horse manure is the weed seeds. If it isn't composted (rather than just aged) the seeds will germinate all through your garden. Composting it heats it up enough to destroy the weed seeds.

3. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

it can be used immediatly - but weeds are a problem - also I noticed where ever I put horse stuff alot of grub worms are in the soil - wonder if there is a connection? Also - I made cow crap tea and wow - all kinds of bugs floated to the top!

4. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of putting the horse manure where I want to put my tomatoes (see other post... Will this Work?). and would cover it for a while with plastic to help the ground warm up. Hopefully, the heat would kill the weed seeds too. That's what I've read anyway.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have always used it straight from the horse! if however you have acsess to aged manure thats even better! usually at issue is the bedding tieing up nitrogen and weed seeds which aging cures. root crops should not get muchnor should beans or peas squash ,corn and tomatoes plenty.we work ours in after the first tilling spreading lightly over the whole garden .then more where we are planting tomatoes,corn and squash

6. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I usually compost it about 6 months to a year. I just don't want the weeds.
    I mix it in with leaves and kitchen compost and let it cook for a long time. I just turned my last years pile of leaves and horse manure and it looks ready to use.

7. DwnByTheCreek

DwnByTheCreek Mom of 2 boys(5 & 3)

I put about a 1-2 inch layer in the fall then till it in and let it sit all winter, I don't have much problems with weeds I use raised beds (witch I change and move around), and weeds don't have the light to get a foot hold, I do have problem with potato scab, so I try not to put any where I plan to put the potatos, I have woodin frames that I have each year and fill with dirt from the garden for my raised beds,.. My horses are in a paddock with run in shed so we do not use bedding for them, so I do not have that issue...

JoAnn
    :)