Horse Ivermectin for sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by cdehne, Jul 15, 2011.

1. cdehne

cdehne Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been on these boards for years, but mostly as a lurker! I sometimes have something to contribute to the dairy goat forum, as that is my area of expertise ;~)

We now have 2, 6 month old Lincoln Longwool ewes that I want to de-worm. I always use a little bit of the horse wormer for my goats. Can I do this for sheep? Does anyone have a dosage for using horse Ivermectin in sheep?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

I'd dose them the same as the goats.

3. Reed77

Reed77 Rookie

You can use equine paste de-wormer on goats and sheep?

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Yes, I did all the time.

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

It's all the same chemical but it's a LOT easier to dose accurately with the liquid Ivomec

6. equinecpa

equinecpa Well-Known Member

Equine Ivomec paste is 1.87% ivermectin, while the Ivomec Sheep Drench is .08% ivermectin. Ivomet Sheep Drench has a recommended dose of 3 ml to 26 pounds, therefore 12 ml for a 100# sheep would have a concentration of 0.0096ml of ivermectin. If I calculate the concentration in the 1.87% that would equate to 0.5 ml?

That would be about 1/2 the equine dosage....somewhere I thought I read it was to be doubled?

7. jklloyd

jklloyd Member

The horse paste seems very palatable to the sheep. They also do not choke on it like they occasionally do on the liquid. It seems to work very well.

8. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

So what dosage are you giving?

Carol K

9. equinecpa

I'm very curious about the dosage too...for those using ivermectin horse paste wormers- how much are you dosing your sheep?

10. jklloyd

jklloyd Member

I simply used the same lb. dosage as for the horse. Do not know if this is correct but it seemed to work.

11. equinecpa

For those who used the horse paste, how do you measure it? Mine has notches of 250# increments so I put it into a syringe-250# =1.5 ml. I ended up dosing .5 ml per sheep (or trying to anyhow). It didn't seem a very effective way of measuring as I'd have 1.5 ml in a syringe and then need to put .5 ml in the mouth -some got more some got less.

12. Cannon_Farms

Cannon_Farms Well-Known Member Supporter

sheep stupid goat smart person here, us goat folks always take and squirt the meds out and mix them up better then pull them up in a syringe so that a more accurate dose can be given.

13. Shoupie

Shoupie Well-Known Member

I used to (and my dairy goat friend still does) the ivomec paste and dose by weight. I had big suffolk girls so I would just divide the 250 squirts into two. I figured the little bit extra would compensate for the bit they always managed to spit out. Worked very well for us. If I had smaller sheep I would use cannon farms method but I would cut the tip off of a catheter needle so you're not trying to squeeze that thick paste through a needle hole.