Horse Drawn Hay Cutter on eBay

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

using a 4 wheeler to pull equipment of anyknd is dangerous, more so than using a tractor intended for actual farming practices, Inkow many people who have got hurt using 4 wheelers for mowing, and this proceed ure with the horse drawn implement would require 2 people on board.

Perhaps the right people could doit, but i think it is still better suited for pulling behind a horse..... however that is just my opinion.

William

3. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I'd be willing to be that the guy who buys this is going to prep it, paint it, and park it in his lawn.

I'd have to agree with "Blue Duck" on this one; you'd be asking for trouble if you modified that mower to pull behind a four-wheeler. You'd either need a substantial re-working of the controls or have another person riding in back to raise the sickle and disengage the ground-drive.

A ground-drive mower on steel. We've had some improvements since then, like tractors, 3-pt. mounted PTO-drive sickle mowers, etc. If you're dying to know what it's like to farm with horses, some of us old timers can tell you the tales, and you won't have to buy a couple teams and the horse-drawn equipment. Most everyone has a "I remember that time the team ran away when I was: on the binder, the mower, picking corn and forgot to use the drag rope, etc."

Sometimes progress isn't all bad.

(Please don't take offense Ken, It was fun to look at an old No. 7, but the thought of that mower behind a four-wheeler made me chuckle.)

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Yes, I meant a second person would have to ride the mower. However, I don't see it as any more dangerous than being pulled with draft power. ATVs have basically become mini-tractors with all of the accessories being made for them now.

Ken S. in WC TN

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Frankly atv are pricey and I'd own a used tractor before I'd buy an atv. I have pulled a horse mower behind a tractor without a helper. Works sorta although kind of a pain unless you rig some rope controls and add some weight to keep wheels from just skidding. That was back when pto sickle mowers brought some money and horse mowers were give away. Mine was bought in excellant shape for $5 at farm auction and I sold it when I moved for $45. Wouldnt get them that way anymore. Now its tractor sickle mowers that go cheap. I was a long way from home, but saw at one auction several old JD #7 sickle mowers sell for couple bucks a piece. Had to sit on my hands. They were very durable pto driven mowers with a gearbox and pto clutch instead of belts that worked well on older farm tractors without 3 pt hitch. You know what, the guy that bought them removed the covers from the gear boxes to resell (cast with JD emblem). Just left rest of mowers for scap guy. Grrrr.... He got away before I could talk to him or I'd of offered to haul away what was left for free. Can always rig new gearbox covers. Just as well, wouldnt have been worth the time and gas money, as is I have couple good sickle mowers around that I havent used in years. Unfortunately they are belt kind, where the heavy belt needed would cost more than another mower.