Horse Boarding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mike, May 23, 2006.

1. mike

mike Well-Known Member

How much would you charge to board two horses, on pasture only. We have 4 of our own so I have a good idea of feed costs, put we have never boarded other horses. What your opinon? Thanks. :)

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

It depends - on what others are charging in your area, what facilities you can offer (riding ring, arena, trails?), are you going to feed grain. Around here, it could be anywhere from $150 to $235 Cdn.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mike, You pretty well know what it costs to keep a horse on hay in your area. The pasture is worth as much as the hay. Some people might charge less for the pasture, but there isn't any reason to unless you are doing someone a favor.
    2 horses would be $100 per month for the pair minimum here.

4. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Check your insurance homeowners will not cover this as it is a business annthing you are getting paid for is commerical. We learned to late

5. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I know this isn't what you asked but I would not board a horse for anyone, the liability is seriously not worth it!!

6. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

Kim-
    I couldn't agree with you more.

All horse people, ourselves included, are a bit over the edge. It is close to impossible to satisfy them.

Before getting involved with boarding go to the fanciest, neatest, most highly regarded boarding stable you can find. Casually talk to every boarder you can find. Say you are considering the place but you have heard........! Ask them if the place is what it is cracked up to be, any complaints, yada-yada-yada.

Consider the added liability, insurance as well as personal grief.

Then decide for yourself if the couple of extra bucks is worth the agrevation.

We have a lot of open pasture. Except for the occassional overnight traveler, meaning passing through race horses that need a place at the inn, the only horses here are those we own.

Best of luck whatever way you go!

7. m39fan

m39fan Acres of Blessing Farm

In our area, it's $150+ per horse at established stables. I wish we'd been able to find the $50 per that Uncle Will is talking about! We're just getting reading to bring the horses over to the new homestead and that'll be $300+ less per month in bills!!! That does include, however, use of the Stable's property (indoor and outdoor arenas, round pen and 140+ acres to trail ride on).

We had looked at some property (54 acres) in SW Michigan with the thought of making extra cash by bording horses besides our own but insurance and liability risks were too high for our liking. My reccommendation would be to not board other horses. Just a couple wouldn't bring in enough to cover costs and risks.

HTH,
    Mike