horse boarding/??pasture

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jamo, Jan 29, 2005.

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

We have 5 acres out back that our neighbors would like to use for their brood mares and babies. The fence is in very bad shape. They say that they will fix the fence and keep it cut down. They have a tractor, we don't. They will build a shelter on skids so that it can be moved to avoid a mud hole. I have a horse(Walker 14, and a mini donkey) My farrier says that the mare's will probably kill the donkey as they are so different and not use to it. They look different, act different, smell different. He explained keeping them seperated by a fence until they got use to one another, but I'm not sure if this will work. Also, I'm a little concerned because my guys won't be able to come and go in and out of the barn as they are use to because I'll have to keep the gate closed to the back pasture. I am befinning to have other concerns or questions as well.

What about insurance and liability on our part? They are very nice people, but I've seen the worse come out in some when there's an accident or money involved.

What about utilities? We would be providing water and electricity. Not much $$ but over seversal years it could add up.

Would we be better off repairing the fence oursleves, paying them to cut and then charging them rent? Could we then consider this a business and claim some sort of deduction?

And lastly, that means that our neighbors will be over at our place often. I'm not to keen on that either, but it's also not a huge thing.

What do you think? This would be a great way for us to get our fencing repaired(it's bad) and I'm sure I could learn alot about horses(I need the education)but I'd like some opinions please.

Thanks,

Jan

2. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Jan Fix your fence your self and any other improvements and you will be complety in control. If you board horses do a 100% board and charge accordingly.You could build a 5 strand hi tensile fence for About 15cents per lineral foot Includes springs in each strand. A shed on skids will turn over in a strong wind. It must be anchored in some manner. What state are you in? WE have to have a sign posted in the barn. Equine Activity Statute for protection against Equine activity Liability. I think N.C S.C. Ga. and Tx have this law. E mail me if you have any question.

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Not only the things that were mentioned but then you have strangers coming and going the people that board the horses at your place. I know because we did this. We told them to not bring anyone else on our property so they just waited for us to leave to bring them over. We forgot somthing one time and turned around and went back and there were about 6 people including kids milling around our place. The owners of the horse said well we were only going to be there for a min and there friends wanted to see the new babies. But now these people who didn't have a good reputaion in our town knew just what we had on our place. I didn't like that at all. So as soon as possible about 3 weeks I made them take there horses home and now I am letting the policeman that lives farms down run 3 calfs on our place so he is comming and going all the time :). Its been a year now and we didn't have any trouble but the policeman told us that they cause alot of problems in town but never out there where they live. He said he knows everyone of them by name. Thank goodness they moved away and don't come out to visit any more. I think it was there uncle that raised the horse that is why they were out here all the time. It did make the owners of the fence made and so the next time he was brush hoging he broke and knocked down a corner post, we had to replace. I think he waited for us to give him a really hard time about it and even said to us that it wasn't him that did it, but he noticed it when he was brushhoging. My husband just smiled and told him you know you are always running into things with that tractor just look at the hole you put in your boat. Now if you want a good neibour you have to be a good neibour. My husband use to go over and help him all the time but since this has happened he just dosn't help him anymore.

4. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. These are very nice people and have helped me out several times. We have both experienced tragedy in our lives and that has made us even closer so I don't think that we'd have any problems with that type of thing. I just want to be sure that it's the right thing for our animals, and our property. I'd also like to research the idea of any tax breaks that we might take advantage of.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Jamo,
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Eveyone gave you the best advice to fix your own fences and keep your good neighbors.

6. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

You can depreciate buildings , fencing, equipment on your tax. Also feed ,seed fertilizer and labor is tax deductible. See a good accountant that does farm returns.