horse blocks for goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by paperboy-7, Jul 22, 2005.

1. paperboy-7

paperboy-7 Well-Known Member

hi all was reading the labels again at the co-op found a horse block w/1200ppm of copper is this ok for goats w/really low copper? what is to much copper for goats thought i could give till color darkens then go back to 30ppm in the minerals. has anyone tried the horse blocks? thanks p

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Goats don't utilize blocks well, you would do soo much better using either a mineral tub, or if you have shelter loose minerals. Consistancy is key. Move to a mineral right for your area and stick to it. The goats, with it out fresh and free choice will then eat the mineral, with the higher copper or whatever it is you need for your area, when they crave salt. Here I use the Tech Master Minerals complete, TSC sells them, Bluebonnet makes them. It's for horses, cattle and goats, and have up to 2000 ppm of cooper in it. It is also low in iron and is grey. I used the Purina loose beef cattle minerals for year, but love the new minerals because it contains the yeast and kelp I used to add to the cattle minerals.

20ppm is the basic copper level given in grain mixes, you do not want to even think about using a mineral that only contains 30ppm...unless you lived in a copper mine? :) What are the producers in your area with impressive stock doing? Mimic their practice, especially if they test. Vicki

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks again, Vicki!
    I'm going to go to TSC next week and I'll get some! I like that the yeast and kelp are right in it.
    Here's the irony. I just switched retailers for my feed. When I asked what loose minerals thay had for goats,the woman tried to convince me I didn't need them. Oy!!

4. paperboy-7

paperboy-7 Well-Known Member

will ask tsc not on shelf. lots of iron in my well water, somewhere i read this stops copper goldenblend im using is 30ppm they like the goldenblend but to expensive for what it is. vicki your alllllllllways the best. p