Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hesitated to post this but if I can stop this from happening to another kid it is worth it.

"What was supposed to be a pleasant summer day at the swimming pool turned into a horrific experience Friday for a 6-year-old Edina girl.

Abigail Taylor was severely injured by the strong suction of a pool drain in a wading pool at the Minneapolis Golf Club. On Tuesday, she remained hospitalized in serious condition at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis.

A portion of Abigail's intestinal tract was pulled out of her body and could not be repaired, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press."

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1284006.html

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Those drains are so dangerous... I've heard of little ones getting stuck to them and drowning, too.

Every single pool ought to have a drain cover, somehing so simple can prevent so much suffering, yet people neglect to use one. :(

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jen74145 said:
Those drains are so dangerous... I've heard of little ones getting stuck to them and drowning, too.

Every single pool ought to have a drain cover, somehing so simple can prevent so much suffering, yet people neglect to use one. :(
This was a public pool. Because of this accident MN congresscritters have introduced legislation to mandate drain covers.

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
Along the same lines, the intake things in whirlpool bathtubs can be dangerous too...they can entrap long hair and potentially pull someone under. Just think of drowning in your own tub... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Saw this story on the news when we were in Indianapolis.They said her small intestine was gone.She asked her father if she would be on the news cause she didn't want this to happen to anyone else.They also interviewed the father.How terrible!!!

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
This just breaks my heart! Praying for the poor little girl and her family

1 - 9 of 9 Posts