Horrible dehorning blunder!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, May 2, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Today my grandparents came over to help me dehorn cricket my calf who is about 6 weeks old now. They felt to locate his horn but we didn't shave him. They missed the horn!! :eek: We had to burn it off again!! I feel so bad for him! He looks like he had 3 horns. I feel AWEFUL!! He acted fine once it was over but still it just looks so painful. They also did my 2 nubian goat kids and they didn't like it. Poor little things. So that was just a bad time.

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I just hate that guilty feeling and animals can make you feel it faster than a snap.

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

So what did you use for freezing and pain?

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Should I put anything on that area on the skin? The horns looks fine and crisp but the skin area looks painful. Should I stick anything on there? he is acting fine and eats same as always...... fast! HAHA! Anyway... thanks!

5. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

He should have been frozen with Lidocaine (or Novocaine, or whatever your vet carries) before it was done and have had his dose of Aspirin for after. I have a jar of calf Aspirin, you can use the human ones but I can't remember the conversion for doses. Most of the pain involved is as it's done and shortly afterward, since it cauterizes itself, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to give him some Aspirin now.

6. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Spray the burned area with bluecoat .. it will help the healing and help to dry the burned skin out