Hornworms!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mpillow, Aug 10, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

:grump: :grump: :grump:

I need to get 'em before they get my maters....any advice besides picking and squishing? somewhat organic method???? :help: :help: :help:

2. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Dawn dishsoap mixed with some water...spray on the plants.

Wood ashes sprinkled on the plants.

This is gonna sound gross, but it's worked for all the other types of bugs I've had to get rid of, but haven't had to try it on hornworms: Go pick all the hornworms you can find, throw 'em in the blender with enough water to put it through a spray bottle (or you can punch holes in the bottom of an old coffee can and nail the can to a stick) and apply to the plants.
    Heather

3. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Bt would work (Bacillus thuringiensis) sold as Dipel or Thuricide.

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Maybe that's the secret solution to stopping tresspassers! :hobbyhors Run a few through the blender and the everyone else will decide to hunt and fish on someone else's land :D

/VM

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i don't know how well this works. at best it's a temporary solution but what i do is break of the branch they are on and take it to a shady shrub away from the garden and leave it there. i want it to grow up and become a big gorgeous moth someday. best compromise i can come up with, so me and the critter both get what we want. :)

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I use an old spoon to scrape them into a plastic cup. Then I toss them to the chickens. My girls love them and reward me with nice brown eggs every morning.

7. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Hmmmm...contemplating the reality of that........I'll get back to you if I can figure out a reason why that WOULDN'T work! I like it! :happy:
    Heather (in her slightly devious state of mind today)

8. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I asked the same question a while back and someone recommended DE. I dusted the plants and then it rained enough to wash it off of course, reapplied and have not seen one since:)

9. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Why do I have a picture of Dan Ackryod using the Bass-o-Matic in my head? And how do I get it OUT????

;)

Seriously, I have read this, too. But I have had great success with DE on the tomato plants this year. Only had one that I hand-killed, and that was a young'un. Still had green guts, though.

Pony!

10. verminclature

verminclature Well-Known Member

I always seem to find a couple with the parasitic wasp eggs attached, I set those aside (usually on the asparagus) and toss the rest to my chickens. I had a gentle chicken once that I was able to actually "teach" how to find them for herself off of the tomato plants...problem is, she eventually taught herself how to peck one hole in every tomato!

11. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

We had those this year! We had a family hornworm hunt for a few days. Found approx 10-15. It was fun. We fed them to the chickens:)

12. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;There is an easier way!
    In the early part of the season when your Tomato seedlings are 5-6 inches tall pinch the "true leaf stem"hard enough to bruise the stem but not hard enough to break it (you will feel it crunch).this causes the growing Tomato plant to produce an Enzyme that is Lethal to Hornworms.They will hatch and get about an inch long before it Kills them.I have been using this technique for almost 20 years and wouldn't use anything else.I got this from Barbara Damrosch(Elliot Coleman's)wife.-

13. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

Okay, Zebraman. I'm game. Barbara told you this? And it works!? By "true leaf stem" what do you mean? Thanks!

14. Zebraman

First True leaf,after seed leaf(cotyledon) but wait until seedling has a few more leaves.I do mine when I am putting them in Final beds in the Garden.You want to pinch the stem of the leaf where it attaches to main stem.I had a few plants that came up from last year that I forgot to do this with and the Hornworms had a hay day with these plants and nothing on the plants right next to them in same bed.You will Never use anything else!-

15. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Lethal enzyme produced by a tomato plant from pinching the stem? No way!

Martin

16. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Way!
    http://www.prl.msu.edu/howe.shtml

17. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

That is beyond COOL!!! INCREDIBLY NEATO!!!

Man, that's SPIFFY!

Thanks for posting the study!

Pony!

18. Paquebot

Repeat, no way lethal. That is, it would kill all worms that ate from such a plant. None of those studies ever have proved that the enzyme is lethal. You will find that every study stops short of making such a claim.

Martin

19. Zebraman

Hey Guys;I have used this for over 20 years and it is 100% effective.Why would you listen to anybody that has Never even used it?Hello!
    I used the word Lethal because it Kills Hornworms when they are about an inch long.I have found that my garden is aphid free by using the Bio-Dynamic/French Intensive method of Organic Gardening.But then again I follow Directions and recipies Verbatum!-

20. Paquebot

It didn't get off the ground at GardenWeb or Jere's forums. I don't think that it will fly here, either!

Martin