Horns

Discussion in 'Goats' started by uncleotis, Apr 2, 2005.

1. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

I have a question to ask for my nephews, they have boer goats and the horns of them aren't smooth like on many goats, these goats are from ages 3-4 (mama's) to the newborns last fall. The horns are like rough, like their peeling off, I know that's not what there doing but it's hard to try and describe. The goats are all healthy it's just that some goats have shiny, slick horns and these don't. Are they lacking something? I have Nubian's so I can't be of much help to them so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks
    uncleotis

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

My goats have this sort of peeling, also. The horn underneath is shiny & smooth. My goats have free choice loose minerals so I don't think it's a deficiency. I've always thought it was just that when the horn grows, the outer layer peels off as the new growth comes in. This is just my thoughts. Perhaps someone with more experience can enlighten us both.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Boy, I can't help you there. My cashmere's horns are shiny and kind of bumpy where the horns curve. They've never had any sort of peeling.

Maybe this is a species specific thing?