horns flaking

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Is there a mineral deficiency if the horns flake off? I kept the horns on the bucklings and notice they are really flakey. On the ends, not near the head. Could be them play fighting but it looked like alot more then that.

Thanks in advance

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if they are just now growing in and its just the tips flakeing thats normal, goat horns flake in varing degrees, they are made from the same stuff as our hair and finger nails and the outside will flake as the inside grows and pushes out.

inless huge chunks are crumbling off of mature horn i wouldnt worry

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Horns are made from pure protein. Is the protein in the feed you give them high enough? Is it a real protein like a legume (alfalfa) soy, cottonseed meal or is it unassimilated protein like fish meal? Is there something in the diet or a major mineral lacking....making them not utilize the protein you feed? Vicki

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

3 parts Blue Seal Caprine (18% protein), 1 part alfalfa pellets, 1 part BOSS, 1/2 part Calf Manna(25% protein), 1/2 part beet pulp, all mixed together with a top dressing of minerals. Blue Seal One-to-one mineral mix for dairy cattle, horses, beef and goats. Copper,Min is 1300 ppm. Selenium, Min is 33 ppm. (can't find the tag to get the rest of the information off)

Hay is second cut grass hay. Free forage in woods.

I have to say though, that since the worming of the correct amount of Cydectin, they have ALLstarted putting on weight again. No more boney butts.

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member