Horned goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by longhorngal, Aug 23, 2005.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've found a couple of pregnant pygmies I wouldn't mind buying...they are friendly and gentle but do have horns. The pygmy doe I have now doesn't have horns. The fencing I have is the type with the big square holes. I now my goat now loves to stick her head through it for attention. I guess horned goats might get caught up in it though? Is there anyway I could work with this or should I just look for some different goats?

Cara

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

A string of electric fence (hotwire) should keep them off of and out of your fence. I've also heard of breeders putting pvc pipe across the horns from point to point, but I'm not sure how long it would stay on.

Keep in mind that the dehorned goat will come out at the bottom of the hierarchy of your herd. I don't mix horned & dehorned goats for that reason-but that is just my opinion.

3. WindSong Farm

WindSong Farm Member

Also, even if you separate horned and dehorned goats its not to say that they can't, and won't, fight through the fence.

I rotate pasture pretty heavily and now have it so the girls are sharing a fence with the boys. I have an Angora wether who has horns (buck buddy), and he has been fence fighting with the girls for the past two days. I have to change fence because two of my more dominant does (Alpines for ya! :) ) have bloody heads.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

get them used to each other slowly. the does with horns will always be dominant, but at first there may be a few scuffles. goats will not use thier horns excessively on other goats that they are used to and part of the herd unless the other goat stepps over the line and tries to move up in the hierarchy. usually the problems come from new goats being introduced, that still dont have a place in the hierarchy, because they have to push and shove to get a spot, or be left at the bottom.