horn ?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by renee o'neill, Jul 28, 2006.

1. renee o'neill

renee o'neill Well-Known Member

I have a 5 month old unknown heifer ,I am guessing angus holstein x but I am not sure.She is just now getting small horns but they arnt really horns.Ok now I know that sounds odd but they wiggle,if you hold them they move .They look like horns ,are were horns should be but they move.Any ideas? flies and the heat now make it impossible to remove them.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Your last sentence is the important part, LOL. If you wish to show her in fair next year or sell her at some point, have them removed this fall. They won't bother the animal if left on, and will probably never develop to full horns.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

They are called scurs (or floating horns). Sometimes happened when a polled breed is crossed with a horned breed. Will always be loose like that.

4. renee o'neill

renee o'neill Well-Known Member

If they stay loose is that going to cause a bleeding issue if they get rubbed or what ever else could happen?

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

As Ken says, they are called scurs and never give any problem. They will always be loose but quite firmly attached.

They are not desirable in stud or show animals but for us ordinary mortals, they just mean we don't have the bother of dehorning - not that I do anyway :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie