Horn sticking problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by charles, Dec 4, 2003.

1. charles

charles Well-Known Member

1991 Mazda Probe. 22k miles. On a couple of colder nights the horn has just come on. By itself. Car is in the the garage.

I've gotten it to go back off by hitting the horn honking area in the center of the steering wheel. After getting it to go off I can get the horn to sound with just the slightest touch of that area of the wheel. Doesn't seem to do this during the day.

Diagnosis?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Auto horns work by sending currant to and through the horn on to the button in your steering wheel. You complete the circuit by grounding (pressing) the contact to make the ground. The fact that this happens only when it is cold indicates contraction of some point of the system, most likely within your steering wheel inter parts. This problem I have never heard about before, but there is no limit as to what can happen.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Call a dealer and check for a recall. Our Grand Cheorkee's horn was "posessed" for 2 years now finally there is a service recall on it.

mikell

4. sweetbabyjane

sweetbabyjane Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I'll bet you're popular. :)

Sorry, I know nothing about car horns. I thought you were referring to a cow and was going to suggest taking it to the vet. With the cow in a chute, he/she will put a ring thing in it's nose, turn it's head to the side, and cut off the offending horn with a string saw.

Oh well, on to the next post... :)
    SBJ

5. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Disconnect the power to the horn at the horn. If you cannot live without it run a new wire from horn to doorbell type button in car where you can push it to activate horn.

6. Mark in N.C. Florida

Mark in N.C. Florida Member

Have you left the windows down in the rain lately. or maybe got water in button area while cleaning? You may have some condesations building up under the button thus making a electrical connection.

7. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Had this exact same problem with a new Cadilac Coupe Deville. That car was put togather so tight that when the temp. dropped after dark in winter the humidity in the car's interior condenced enough to short out the horn switch. Left one window open just a bit unless rain was predicted and this let the warm air excape to the outside.

8. Jo73

Jo73 Active Member

We once had a car where the central automatic locking started to go on & off by itself when it rained (it sure was funny to see the car parked in the driveway with the locks going 'click-click' and the lock buttons popping up & down by themselves); a short while after, the electrics died on the highway at night - alternator brushes were gone. Make sure your alternator is in good shape and your battery is getting fully charged.

Jo