Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our friend was replacing two very old windows in our barn when he came across a beam inside the structure. The replacement windows I purchased were larger as I wanted more natural light in the barn. As is, the new windows won't fit. How best to proceed?

My camera's memory card is wonky, and I have no idea what it did to the right side of the photo but you can kind of see the gist.

Wood Window Tints and shades Font Circle

·
Registered
431 Posts
Are you talking about the beam at the bottom where the window sill would go? If so, it's only to hold the window and you can move it as needed to fit the new one.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Our friend was replacing two very old windows in our barn when he came across a beam inside the structure. The replacement windows I purchased were larger as I wanted more natural light in the barn. As is, the new windows won't fit. How best to proceed?

My camera's memory card is wonky, and I have no idea what it did to the right side of the photo but you can kind of see the gist.

View attachment 99810
I can't make out anything from the picture. How long is the beam, and what is it attached to at each end?

Reactions: aart

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the largest black bar is the beam and it appears to run the length of the structure under the windows. It's within the wall and was only visible when the old window was removed. It's a beam of wood, about six inches tall. The barn's east side is about 20 feet. Our friend installing the windows (this was the first one and he stopped after noticing the beam) said it appeared to go all the way toward the remaining southern end and hazarded a guess that it ran north the rest of the way.

My father-in-law's going to come take a peek at it tomorrow. I've been wanting these windows in since early spring and it was hard to nail down someone and now this lovely piece of architecture. Ah well, all in good time.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It may have been used as some kind of wooden foundation.

What is under it. Is it on a solid concrete/block/stone wall/foundation. Or are there wood studs or posts under it?

Hard to make an educated guess with half of a picture.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
So the largest black bar is the beam and it appears to run the length of the structure under the windows. It's within the wall and was only visible when the old window was removed. It's a beam of wood, about six inches tall. The barn's east side is about 20 feet. Our friend installing the windows (this was the first one and he stopped after noticing the beam) said it appeared to go all the way toward the remaining southern end and hazarded a guess that it ran north the rest of the way.

My father-in-law's going to come take a peek at it tomorrow. I've been wanting these windows in since early spring and it was hard to nail down someone and now this lovely piece of architecture. Ah well, all in good time.
If it is six inches tall, and runs the entire length of the building, It is probably holding quite a load, I would suggest you don't cut it.

Reactions: aart

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My first instinct would be to look at the top of the window opening and see how it is framed. It might be fairly easy to move the upper header up another 6 inches so that you can leave the lower beam in place. The fact that it runs the length of the wall suggests that it may be tying the vertical studs together in a way that provides lateral stability.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Old barns are built from the top down one piece most of the time .
A beam in the wall horizontally can’t hold a load .
Thy may of put the beam in so there studs can go to the top of the roof ?
If it a gable wall it doesn’t hold any thing up .

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sky Window Rectangle Wood Floor There, this memory card is less junky but it was evening and the lighting wasn't the greatest.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My first instinct would be to look at the top of the window opening and see how it is framed. It might be fairly easy to move the upper header up another 6 inches so that you can leave the lower beam in place. The fact that it runs the length of the wall suggests that it may be tying the vertical studs together in a way that provides lateral stability.
Unfortunately the ceiling is right there or that would be a great idea. I think only about an inch or less needs to be cut from the beam and my father in law didn't think that would harm the over all integrity much, especially if reinforced with more screws down the line, etc.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Unfortunately the ceiling is right there or that would be a great idea. I think only about an inch or less needs to be cut from the beam and my father in law didn't think that would harm the over all integrity much, especially if reinforced with more screws down the line, etc.
I think if you only need to notch that beam an inch or so, then you will be fine. Because it is running horizontally, it isn't carry load vertically (especially the portion beneath a framed window opening). It's purpose is likely to provide lateral stability, and if 75% of the beam maintains its integrity, it should still be able to do the job. But, if in doubt, consult an engineer....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts