hope I'm not being a pain with the questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Faithful Heart, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

ok..... only got one answer when I added more questions to the other post. So thought I'd try again in a new post. Here's what I wrote:

*Erased a few questions that got covered, and added a few new ones I thought of.*

Hadn't gotten an opionion as to whether or not the 10x6 inside pen with 10x16 outside yard would be ok (for a month or so) for this little buck and one adult doe.

Other questions I'm developing too......

He was wormed a couple weeks ago. I think he still sorta looks like he might have worms. (I say that like I'm some expert....right? ) His stools are perfect pebbly round - not to dry or wet. But he looks just a touch hunched, and holds his tail straight up rather than curled to the back. But he's not holding his tail straight out or down... so that's good. And he's not REALLY hunched, just maybe a little. Deworm now? Wait a few weeks? Stay on a "3 month" schedule? Bite the bullet and have a vet check his stool for any worms, what worms, and have the vet make the decision?

I have the C & D - T vaccine....... the bottle gives a dosage rate of 2 ml. Is that right for any age or size goat? Or does he need less? I must say, I'm terrified of this part. It's not the needle.... I used to vaccinate dogs and cats all day long at an animal shelter I worked at. What I'm afraid of is killing the little guy with giving too much or him having an allergic reaction and going into shock. Big stuff. I would be SOOO devistated if I killed him.

Also, about vaccinating..... the bottle says it's good for 10 doses, and I know he'll need a second dose a month after the first. BUT, the bottle says use it all up after opening. SOO.... can I vaccinate now, and still use the same bottle in a month before it goes bad? We also plan to get a doe ASAP, and if I can hold it in the frige for 4-6 weeks, that way I'd get atleast 4 of the 10 doses available ..... 2 for the little guy, and 2 for the doe. Can I do that?

I have 3 books... The New Goat Handbook, Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, & Raising Meat Goats For Profit...... but they don't cover every little bit. And then the books themselves add more questions. Such as, one book says that "in young kids, in which the ruman is not yet working, adding B vitamins directly to the diet in the form of yeast is recommended". Anyone do this?

This poor little goat won't have any room for himself in his pen if I keep adding all that's suggested by the books. :stars: He's got a sleeping shelf, his water bucket that can't be overturned or peed/pooped in, milk crate attached to the wall with his feeding dish (so it can't be stepped in or turned over), milk crate attached to the wall with hay...... and then it's suggested I get him a mineral lick or loose minerals, baking soda, and now yeast too? - so that'll take some more feeders on the wall. LOL He has a 6x10 inside space, and I'm running out of room! :help:

I've taken him for walks in to the edge of the woods where the wild black berries and other weeds/bushes grow. He LOVES that stuff. He'll eat anything... leaves (fresh or dry), grass, weeds, pine needles..... he just walks along nibbling a bit of all of it. The pine needles seem to be his favorite.

I know this is a long post..... but just want to get it all covered.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Hadn't gotten an opionion as to whether or not the 10x6 inside pen with 10x16 outside yard would be ok (for a month or so) for this little buck and one adult doe.

That should be fine for a little while.

Other questions I'm developing too......

He was wormed a couple weeks ago. I think he still sorta looks like he might have worms. (I say that like I'm some expert....right? ) His stools are perfect pebbly round - not to dry or wet. But he looks just a touch hunched, and holds his tail straight up rather than curled to the back. But he's not holding his tail straight out or down... so that's good. And he's not REALLY hunched, just maybe a little. Deworm now? Wait a few weeks? Stay on a "3 month" schedule? Bite the bullet and have a vet check his stool for any worms, what worms, and have the vet make the decision?

I would take a fecal sample to the vet. It is usually $10 or less to have them test it. Then you would know for sure if he needs to be wormed.

I have the C & D - T vaccine....... the bottle gives a dosage rate of 2 ml. Is that right for any age or size goat? Or does he need less? I must say, I'm terrified of this part. It's not the needle.... I used to vaccinate dogs and cats all day long at an animal shelter I worked at. What I'm afraid of is killing the little guy with giving too much or him having an allergic reaction and going into shock. Big stuff. I would be SOOO devistated if I killed him.

Yes, 2 cc no matter what size the goat is.

Also, about vaccinating..... the bottle says it's good for 10 doses, and I know he'll need a second dose a month after the first. BUT, the bottle says use it all up after opening. SOO.... can I vaccinate now, and still use the same bottle in a month before it goes bad? We also plan to get a doe ASAP, and if I can hold it in the frige for 4-6 weeks, that way I'd get atleast 4 of the 10 doses available ..... 2 for the little guy, and 2 for the doe. Can I do that?

Yes, that is fine as long as you are only inserting a new sterilized needle into the bottle each time. Do not re-use needles. Make sure you keep it in the fridge.

I have 3 books... The New Goat Handbook, Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, & Raising Meat Goats For Profit...... but they don't cover every little bit. And then the books themselves add more questions. Such as, one book says that "in young kids, in which the ruman is not yet working, adding B vitamins directly to the diet in the form of yeast is recommended". Anyone do this?

I never have done this with my young kids.

This poor little goat won't have any room for himself in his pen if I keep adding all that's suggested by the books. He's got a sleeping shelf, his water bucket that can't be overturned or peed/pooped in, milk crate attached to the wall with his feeding dish (so it can't be stepped in or turned over), milk crate attached to the wall with hay...... and then it's suggested I get him a mineral lick or loose minerals, baking soda, and now yeast too? - so that'll take some more feeders on the wall. LOL He has a 6x10 inside space, and I'm running out of room!

Really, all they need is a good draft free building to get in out of the weather. Fresh water, loose minerals free choice & baking soda, & hay or pasture/browse. Males do not really need any grain unless they are breeding bucks. Then I usually only give them grain to keep them in shape for breeding. Mine do not have a shelf to lay on. They sleep just fine on the floor of the barn or shed.

3. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Beth, that's the great thing around here. Nobody minds if you ask questions. I think people are always willing to help. We all get helped in return, eh?
    Isn't Wendy awesome? :angel:

Malissa

4. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Wendy! Much Appriciated!

I guess I'll take out the sleeping bench/shelf. That would return almost 1/4 of the pen back to him. He hasn't slept on it at all, or even climbed around on it. He seems to prefer two places - right by the inside door where he can watch for me inside the barn, and right at the outside door where he can watch for me coming up to the barn. LOL No, to be serious.... the neighbors say he mostly hangs out at the door leading outside. Just laying there in the straw inside, with his head outside looking around, very content. I think he's happy. Not crying a whole lot now...... just makes the quiet, closed mouth, mmmmmmm sound when he sees us. He runs quickly to us, but I guess he knows he doesn't need to scream cause we're always right there ready to be with him for attention.

I'll do all you suggested, and then I guess he'll be SET! :) Other than finding a gal for him.

I have to tell you all..... I learned yesterday that even a 2 month old buck knows what his horns are for. LOL The neighbor came over with yesterday with their little poodle. The poodle went to sniff him through the fence, and the little buck lowered his horns to the fence & the dog sniffed his head. But we all had a good laugh when he quickly rammed the fence! That poodle RAN! It was like he was at first saying - you see these horns? (They're only a few inches long.) And then a quick - don't MESS with me! It was FUNNY!! I guess he must have done this to our own dog at some point, cause she gives his fence a very wide berth I've now noticed.

I am enjoying this SO much.