Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have been driving all you "old timers" crazy with my newbie questions about my sick goat, but I wanted to share something and ask for thoughts.

Yesterday, I popped her in the leg with a needle, and she jumped, stopped drinking, turned around and glared at me. It was the most definitive pain reflex yet. I wanted to pop her again and see if she did the same thing...(I didn't). Prior to this, she would twitch her tail a bit and the muscle in the leg would bunch up a tiny tiny bit when I gave her a shot, not much else of a reaction.

Is this a positive sign or a red herring? Remember, she is totally paralyzed in her back end. I also had propped her up before leaving for work last night, and hubby forgot to go back down and lay her back on her side. This AM I found her laying on her side with her "better" leg stretched out a bit. I thought hubby had seen her, he confessed he did not. Not sure if she actually was able to move it, or it became free when she laid her front half over.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I have been following your story and here is my 2cents. I'm an old softie so take it for what it's worth. First of all I commend you for all you've done for your sweet girl. Second of all I would have done the same thing as you. I had a little wether given to me that had a couple of deformed legs. He looked a little funny, but got around okay. HE had no idea he was different than the others. He only lived 4 months, but was such a joy for us that I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. If your girl is happy and not in pain then I think you are doing the right thing by her and it sounds to me like there is definite improvement and I would certainly not give up on her now. She might never be perfect again, but if she is happy and brings you joy then who cares if she isn't perfect :)

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I have been following your story and here is my 2cents. I'm an old softie so take it for what it's worth. First of all I commend you for all you've done for your sweet girl. Second of all I would have done the same thing as you. I had a little wether given to me that had a couple of deformed legs. He looked a little funny, but got around okay. HE had no idea he was different than the others. He only lived 4 months, but was such a joy for us that I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. If your girl is happy and not in pain then I think you are doing the right thing by her and it sounds to me like there is definite improvement and I would certainly not give up on her now. She might never be perfect again, but if she is happy and brings you joy then who cares if she isn't perfect :)
Rest in peace little Petrie... your post is says it all perfectly. I think there is still hope and because she is happy, there is no need to make any decisions at this point. Maybe she will improve some more and do just fine :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
When i was buying my starter herd I picked up a lil goat that has abnormilities.
She caught a leg in the fork of a tree when very little. The owner found her nearly dead and barely alive. She nursed her back to health, but the right frount leg is "frozen" in a lifted position. She would have taken care of her, but she has 100+ in her herd and really need the time to take care of her dairy operation. To make a long story short, I was blessed with this special animal. I work with the leg every day hoping to get it back to some normal position, but maybe not....

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you heartwarming stories and encouragement. I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that she cannot be fixed, whatever is wrong with her is too late, too much. She will leave a gaping hole in my heart. If she gimped around on 3 legs (her one back leg is really contracted) I would be ok with that, but I think her recurring stargazing is an ominous sign that she has some kind of massive injury or brain insult. I have about 5 days of dex, after that it should be another 3-5 days after the last dose until she starts stargazing again. If she does, I will have to put her down, there is nothing more I can do and she can't live on Dex. I hate this and it breaks my heart. She is more like a dog or cat than a goat. Meanwhile I take heart in her small improvements and hope I am wrong, then reality hits again.

Thank you all, and I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Does the stargazing mean she is in pain when she does that? Sorry, I'm just not familiar with stargazing (except with myself...when I'm just in a daze and staring off into nowhere deep in thought about nothing).

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it is a sign of a severe neurological insult, whether from polio, meningeal worm, injury. It indicates swelling along the brain stem, spine, somewhere. She has never reached the point she was at in the beginning, with her neck arched back over her spine and her horns touching her back, in a perfect "C", but the continued episodes, while milder each time, indicate something way wrong. The best way to describe the milder form is that she stops whatever she is doing, looks up at the ceiling and seems to "go away" for a minute, then she shakes it off and goes back to whatever she is doing. It doesn't seem painful. Even when at her worst, she was able to bend her head down and eat. I really can't imagine what it would take to get her to stop eating!!

anyhow, your support has meant the world to me. I was just out there a few minutes ago, and when I took the props away from her she remained on her brisket for a few moments, in fact, I laid her down. I am thinking of trying some thick diameter PVC pipe around her weaker front leg to encourage her to try to stand on it.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Well, Stargazing doesn't sound too bad then. The PVC might help..good idea. It's hard to know how "bad off" she is without being there. About where do you live? If your close I can come help you ;) Any chance you could take a picture of her? :)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I was just thinking about him as I was reading the posts and came upon yours. Minelson is right.

Petrie was such a sweetheart- that face was the greatest!!! Still sad even after all this time.

You are doing a great job with your little girl and no matter the outcome, you will know that you did absolutely everything you could have to help her and make her life as comfortable as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts