Hoosier Cabinet characteristics

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Christina R., Nov 11, 2004.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

My husband (bless his heart) has seen a Hoosier that he wants to buy me. It is solid oak, has the hoosier sign onthe front, has latches with H on them, but it is definitely 2 pieces, one set on the other. The bottom part is all wood, not an enamel top. What do I look for in an origianl Hoosier or Hoosier style cabinet. It has the flour bin. It also has the sliding accordian type slatted wood closures on the top part. The bottom part has a 2 door storage area on the left and about 4 or 5 drawers on the right. Thanks for the input.

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help:

http://search.tias.com/cgi-bin/altavista.fcgi

I guess you're trying to make sure you hubby doesn't get 'ripped off'? But, I say forget the authenticity and go for the 'love'. If you like it.. ?? :):) (as long as they're not trying to sell an inferior piece under a popular name)

Good Luck

3. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous poster, if you like it and want it, get it. My so called "Hoosier" (I don't know if it really is or not), was really destressed when I got it, had the red rose decals on all the doors, and the enamel counter was a rusty mess --- but I wanted it, and it was free! A little elbow grease and paint, 15 years later, I have turned down $500 for it.
    DH had asked why we had to move "That piece of junk", and it really impressed him that someone else actually wanted it...
    I had the opportunity to buy a similar cabinet with green louvered glass doors for $25 but didn't have anywhere to put it. Really regret it now!

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My mom and dad hauled my Grandma's to the dump :waa:

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

For those not familiar with them, Hoosier became a generic name for what was basically a bread and dessert (food preparation) cabinet which graced many an old kitchen. Usually had a built-in flour bin. Some were rather plain and some very elaborate with numerous accessories.

If you are looking for replacement parts for one two sources are:

- Uncle Tom's Hoosier Cabinets: Parts & Accessories Catalog, 812-876-5060

- Phyllis Kennedy Hardware Inc. - 317-873-1316.

Ken Scharabok

6. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Lehman's non electric also carries parts for them. They also carry a book all about Hoosier Cabinets.
    www.Lehmans.com

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

If my husband wanted to buy me one (and he KNOWS that is number one on my wish list for my country kitchen, well maybe number two behind a wood-burning cookstove!) I would be jumping for joy! If we found one that was affordable and not in pieces we'd grab it!!!!! I can't afford the one in Lehman's but I'd LOVE to have it!

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Try putting a classified ad in the local paper to the effect: WANTED: Old Hoosier-style kitchen cabinet in good conditon. XXX-XXXX. Perhaps someone still has a nice one out on the back porch or in the shed.

Ken Scharabok

9. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Years ago, when DW and I were engaged, I tracked her grandmother's Hoosier cabinet down to a place where I knew the owner. Her grandmother had given it up when she moved to a retirement home and had no room for it. He and I dickered for months, but finally agreed on a sale. My soon-to-be BIL and I picked it up the day before Christmas and took it to his house.
    On Christmas, we all gather there for dinner. When DW saw the cabinet with a big bow and an I Love You on it, the tears flowed and I got the hug of a lifetime.
    That was a fun day.

10. farmmomma3

farmmomma3 New Member

I absolutely love mine. It was dh's Grandma's and has been in the family for years. It sits in the same part of the house as my woodburning cookstove and threadle sewing machine. I feel very honored now that mine and my husbands grandparents were from "the old days" This year my grandma would have been 105 and his would have been 98.. We are only in our 30's.. My kids think I am nuts to hang on to all of this old "farm" stuff. But that's who I am.. And all that I want to be..
    I say if your dh wants to buy you this whether it's a replica or not let him. Someday down the road someone will cherish it because it was yours...

11. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Yours sounds like the real McCoy as far as authentic "Hoosier" traits. The top part with the flour bin is removeable because to move a piece of furniture that size in wagons or other contraptions would be a bit much. THere are usual brackets that are screwed on the side or on the back that will keep the top from slipping once you have found a place for it. THose latches are really wonderfull.... Ours is an aluminium or tim counter top, circa 1906. You are lucky that tose latches are still intact, We had a heck of a time finding relacements for our broken ones, and they still aren't quite right.

I'd say get it if you love it.

12. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

We were at an estate auction about a month ago and they auctioned one off. It was in excellent condition. Went for 1100.00!

Jodi

13. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Cloverfarm --- my grandma and great uncle chopped my great aunt's working player piano up for firewood. They said those music scrolls sure did burn good! ARRGH!

14. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

OH, NOOOO!!! That's even worse!
    Ann