Hooking genset to feed power...Back into your Breaker panel...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, May 31, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............For those who would like to Feed the Power from their genset back INTO their home ...............Here is a relatively CHEAP...Method ...(1) You need a 50amp\240 volt wall mount plug like you would use for a Crackerbox welder. This plug is then wired into the fuse panel with #8 gauge wire with 2 hots and a gnd. You will want to hook each 120 volt "hot" leg to a 20 amp breaker.
    ...........................(2) You can....Back Feed the output of the Genset INTO the 50 amp welder plug straitup into the breaker panel and from there the power will be available for ALL circuits in your home\shop.
    ...........................(3) To DO THIS ....YOU MUST have a Fused Breaker panel on a power pole that CUTS OFF ALL power coming FROM the Power grid. This is a firewall against you accidentially feeding 240 volts from the grid into your genset.
    .........................(4) I have 100 amp service and a double 50 amp breaker that I can turn OFF anytime it is necessary. So, when MY grid power goes OFF, I simply switch my double 50 amp breaker to OFF. Then I can fireup my genset and feed its power back into my breaker panel and wait for the grid power to be restored.............fordy..... :eek: :)

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Be careful you don't electrocute the linesman trying to repair the downed wire or power outage.

3. tiger13

tiger13 Guest

a good way to feed power back is to make an extention cord that
    will connect your genset to your dryer plug, then just disconect your
    main breaker when the power goes out, connect your cord to the dryer outlet
    and feed your house circuits this way. it works for me.

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I follow what you are doing; but, what exactly is a "genset?"
    I'm also curious whether there is a device, like a relay maybe, that will act as a breaker so the lineman doesn't get electrocuted if I forget to trip the main.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

it is illrgal, and rightly so, to hook up a generator to your lines unless it is set up to be isolated, without fail and not subject to human error (i.e. i forgot to flip the switch), from sending power into the grid to avoid killing some innocent lineman.

please do not cut corners or ignore codes and laws when it comes to this.

jena

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............A genset is any generator that makes electricity. As long as you have a "Main Breaker" that can be turned off BEFORE the power is fedTOO the Main breaker panel with all the circuits , you will never have a problem.
    .............Yes, they make an automatic transfer switche that turns off a switch to stop power coming FROM the Grid and then start the genset . Then usually , you will have too make a determination when the grid power returns and shutdown the genset and return your residence to the grid supplied power. .....fordy... :eek: :)

7. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

If serious injury occurs to a lineman, the power company is going to come looking for the source of the problem. If you are using this set-up, you are not wired to code, and even if you did not cause the problem, you will be held liable.

I don't know about y'all, but I figure the electric company has more lawyers on retainer, than I do.

If you are going to use the main circuitry of your house, spend the money, and wire your back-up system to code.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

These hookupa are illegal as others say. Do it the proper way, or you can kill people. don't do it this way.

--->Paul

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

plus linemen are generally really nice guys who work very hard to get the power back on. i used to be a dispatcher for the co-op and those guys would go out in the worst of weather for very long hours to get the power on. they often go above and beyond the call of duty to help customers and they never failed to show up.

killing one of those guys would be a really tragic thing.

this one of a very few things that i would gladly report to the proper authorities if i knew someone was doing it incorrectly.

jena

10. gobug

I agree with doing it correctly. I still think its a good idea. What is the proper way?

11. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

You can do it this way IF you have a SQAURED panel and buy the $8.95 part that snaps in between the breakers and will only let one breaker on at a time. Much cheaper than a transfer switch setup and you can run the whole house this way. I have this and it is absolutly legal. I could post a pic if asked.

http://www.squared.com/us/products/load_centers.nsf/unid/B3F05CB39B7080AD85256A62006FA416/$file/manual_xfer.jpg

Greg

12. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Back feeding is a good way to KILL SOMEONE... ITS NOT a good way to put a generator online.

There are better ways to put circuits on a generator.

Think Twice, think three times before doing it.

13. gobug

Thanks Greg. The picture was so small I could not make out any details.
    Is the square d panel a special order item or do they carry it at home dippo? This is great for me, because I am ready to purchase and install the power panel.

I have a complication, though. The main power line runs up my drive to a transformer that sets between the house pit (it burned down before me) and garage. Then the line runs on up the mountain to the next property. The main line runs between the garage and the house. The garage had/has no power. The meter pole is on the house side of the main line. The electric company said they would put in a meter pole that would allow the garage and the house to each have a connection to the meter.

If I use the idea in this posting to connect a back-up generator, and I have separate connections at the meter, the generator would only backup one or the other, right?

It sounds like I will need to rethink. Perhaps I should put a main "squareD" panel in the house pit and run it to a garage panel from there, instead of having separate connections at the meter. Does this panel come in an outdoor duty version?? It'll have to sit in the weather for two years, until the house is built.

14. punkrockpilot

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Thanks , I'll look into the box you posted. My method works just fine but better safe than sorry , ....fordy... :eek: :)

16. gobug

Good post fordy. I've learned something here.

Greg, thanks for the link. The price on the sheet says $65 though. Do you have another source for the part?

While I feel competent to do regular house wiring, even 220, I will need an electrician, a permit, and an inspection just to turn on the electric. I'll let my BIL do the hard stuff. I'll let the inspector do his job. Then I'll turn it on.

17. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Can we look at this another way? Obviously, you trust yourself to flip the right switches. And you seem to be a pretty trustworthy fellow who understands the hows & whys.

Let's pretend you are a lineman, working on downed power lines for a living. You are out there working on sections of main power line 3-5 times a week. It's your job.

How many gensets are out there? How many people are running them? A whole lot more since Y2K for sure. :)

Do you trust them? Each and every one of those people out there? they are a cross-section of people, some did their own switch wiring, some had a friend do it, some moved into a house that already has some type of wiring done, told to flip a switch or 2 to make the backup power work.... The fellow under a lot of stress, the fellow who didn't get enough sleep, the fellow who came home a little tipsy from a party to the power being out, the brother of a fellow who is house sitting his brother's house & saw this genset working one time & is in charge of not freezing up the pipes.........

You are that lineman now. Working with those wires. Everyday. Look around your neighborhood. Do _you_ trust each & everyone to correctly remember to flip the right circuts? Each & every time you pick up a wire? Is it still working 'just fine' for you? :)

Or do you just want everyone to have a failsafe interconnect? Which do you really prefer?

Seewhatwemean? :)

--->Paul

18. punkrockpilot

My electrician just emailed me the SquareD part #'s.

interlock - QO2DTI
    panel - QO124L-125GRB

Don't get discouraged! This is legal and safe!!!

Greg

19. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

Around here the linemen are wise to this problem and hook a heavy ground cable to the "hot" wire before they start any work. Smart guys. I'd hate to trust it. Anyway--have to admit I use the above method and will continue to do so. FB