Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been asked to trim some dairy goats for a customer. We have no idea what he should charge per goat. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I don't know - hoof trimming is so much fun he should be paying them to let him do it ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would say that would depend on how long it's been since the goat's feet have been trimmed and what their set-up for trimming is. Trimming feet is damned hard work, and it takes a serious toll on the back! If it is just normal trimming, my farrier charged $5.00/head with a minimum of 10 goats per day. If the feet are in bad shape, maybe $7.50 per head or even $10.00 - depending on how bad, then go down to the $5.00 for maintenance.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I think they settled on 10 for this first time. The guy has 70 head but not sure they all need it done. Once he goes out there and sees how it goes he can always drop the price but it is hard to raise it once you get started.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
About a year or 2 ago there was a guy out here that charged $7/head $50 min

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
My husband actually enjoys it. I like doing most of my goats...Toast used to be patient about it, but her hooves grow so fast they look neglected if I don't do it at least every 2 weeks so she has caught on and can no longer be bribed with grain.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Ugh.

If I had the extra cash I'd sub it out. After a couple mouthfuls and bra-fulls of flying hooves - I would be just fine never doing that job again. It's. So. Gross.

Then ... to watch the dogs *eat* the trimmings. ***GAG***

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am amazed (again?) that people actually PAY good money for it.
Apparently you've never heard of physical handicaps that prevent people from trimming their goats feet. Are you equally critical of people who take their horses to a farrier to have their feet trimmed?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I trimmed my goats when they were little, but now there's no way in Hades I want to do it. So far they are keeping their worn down. I check them all along to make sure. I guess I would give up coffee before I did it. Well maybe not coffee but I would seriously think about rehoming the sweet little beasties before I did that wrestling match again. I guess I'd have to hog tie and sit on them. You want to know the real funny part. I have 1 Nigerian Dwarf and 2 pygmy that are tame. I can't imagine trimming big goats.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A good trick is to wear them down real good before hand do there is less fight.
I had a couple that would put a good fight up and were nearly impossible to catch.
I'd let my dog run them, wear them out real good, put them on their side, sit on them then trim.
No reason to get yourself hurt trying to wrestle a goat of you can prevent it.

I'm thankful for the ones I have now. My doe just stands there. I have to put my buck on his side because hes a wiggler, but he behaves

·
le person
6,244 Posts
I've done it before...after doing horses, it's a pretty easy job lol. I use a hoof knife, faster for me, but that's what I was used to before I ever got goats. It would depend on how wild the goats were, how bad their feet were and, for larger volumes, how fast they can bring you the next goat. I would say $5-15 depending on where those fall. If someone had their herd on a schedule and done every 4-6 weeks (whatever that herd's need was) on the dot, and could move their goats through in a timely fashion for you, I could see $5. But not if you have to go catch them yourself. I was paid $100 for 5 goats, but it was a bit out of the way and I did help catch.

What makes goats good for trimming is how you handle them when you trim. You can make them better every time or worse every time. Also, you can train them like a horse to start with and avoid all that. Of course, their personalities matter too. Some goats don't get excited about much, some think everything is about to kill them. One of my bucks, I trimmed him once while he was laying in the sun. Usually I put them on the stand, or my bucks, I often trim wherever they are standing. They fuss a bit but I can usually get it done pretty quick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts