Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried out my fancy pants Felco #51 hoof trimmers today, wasn't too impressed.
What do other folks use?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Felco's...... well I like em. Not sure if they are the same as yours I didn't get the rolling handle version just the fixed handled ones. Nice you can swap blades but removable blades are easier to sharpen too. I like the thin blade side to use almost as a pick. I have an English made set too with 2 triangluar blades that are OK can't remember the name though, Baldor maybe?

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
I have these and love them. They are from Shear Magic.

Also have these, which I do not like, to big for the sheep I used to have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We started out with hand trimmers, but now my husband uses a dremel tool. Works pretty slick, and saves on his hands and wrists. He wears a mask to prevent any fine dust being inhaled from the trimming process. We have shetlands, have dark and light colored hooves.
Karen

·
Registered
851 Posts
I haven't had to trim anyones' feet (sheep, burro) in 4 years. I made a rock lined corridor leading to the stock pond and that trims the feet for me

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
There's a fellow near me that keeps feeder lambs on expanded metal and tells me he never trims hooves either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all,
well...I improved as I moved up the learning curve today. :)
little nibbles work better than big bites
might try the pruning shears as a comparison.

beautiful fall day here today...my 79 year old mom sat in a lawn chair in the sun as I trimmed hooves. When I finished she said with a smile, "Sheep are a lot of work aren't they?" :)
She's lived here since she was 21, she's allowed to say things like that. :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I use the footrot shears like shown above and they're ok. I'd like to find something that provided a bit more precision, though.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Those footrot shears look similar to the English made ones I can't remember the name of. I prefer the Felco because the thin blade is easier to manouver, and see around, besides being the right size to pick with a bit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do not h ave to worry about trimming the sheeps hooves with almost 2 acres of cement on the 10 acre farm. Also, blackface sheep hooves are a harder hoof than the white face sheep. I have noticed anyhow. When we had the white faced sheep I was trimming their hooves every year when we sheared.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts