Hoof trimming

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bee_Rain, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Bee_Rain

Bee_Rain plays well with others

What do you use or recommend for trimming the hoofs?? I tried all sorts of knives and none seem sharp enough. I also tried a small wood shaver/grater, it worked, but it would take too much time to actually make a difference.

Should they be soaked first?

HELP!! :waa:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried the little hooked hoof triming knife they use on horses?

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I use pruning shears. They work great.

They also do sell hoof shears at Caprine supply. I've heard they work well.

4. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Yikes! don't use a knife! you're brave!

I like to use the nice cheap $3.00 pruning shears from biglots. They last forever and are perfect. I don't know if they have them now as it's fall but you could check in their gardening section and see what they have.

A friend of mine uses a mikota grinder (planer?) to do her hooves and she has a LOT of goats. She swears by it.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

In the beginning :) most use pruners and rasps, once you have been at it awhile it's slow. I still use my purners (rasps drive me insane, I have no patience!), for years ordered the Shear Majic from Jefferspet.com in the livestock catalog, then I was introduced to the BigLots black rose pruners, same exact thing! I take off the material around the hoof, and the pad that grows that keeps the two halves apart at the heal, and the dew claws trimmed with the pruning shear, I then use a utility knife to cut the soles flat.

Hands down, when visiting most farms and seeing goats at shows, most do not get feet even, most also leave a goat with way to long of a hoof, you should be trimming to tiny specks of blood, certainly at least you should be seeing some pink. Trimming monthly makes it soo much less a chore. If you shave off the hair at the coronary band, where the meat of the leg meets the hoof, that is your flat line, both toe and heel should be flat with this line. Most make heels in the rear hoof way to shallow, and leave way too much toe on both front and rear hooves.

For big bucks, and especially any goats that have foundered, or rescued goats who have not had their feet trimmed in years, using a belt sander is great, a two person job, one to hold the grinder, the other to apply the hoof to it with gloved hands flat, but it works well.

Another option I saw at a boer breeders was a cordless Dremmell tool.

I got a sanding barrel disc for my cordless drill, but it works against the leverage I need, being a women with all my strength in my legs, not in my upper body. Husband could zip through hooves with it though.

Most men I know use a pocket knife and stone to trim hooves, there is no way I could do that. Vicki

6. Bee_Rain

Bee_Rain plays well with others

Wow, I never even thought of using pruning shears! Sounds a little awkward but I'll try it!

Thanks alot guys!

7. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Hoegger goat supplies (hoegger.com) has trimmers called "big brother's hoof trimmers". They run about $18. I've been using mine for a couple of years now and it works great and has stayed sharp. I use the trimmers (same as tree pruners) then file the hoof level with a hoof plane. The hoof plane is actually a file that you can get in a lumber yard, home depot, Lowes etc.. It's made by Stanley tools, and has a 12 inch plane blade in it. Works great. The best tip I can give you is to wear a pair of leather gloves when trimming. I've learned the hard way.

8. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

I use the sheep foot rot trimmers. I paid around $12 at Orscheln Farm supply store. They are very sharp and work great.

9. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

don't forget gloves! wear gloves! it never fails, I always cut myself a good one!