Hoof trimming

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Dec 30, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I just got back in from trimming hooves and was curious which way you all use to make sure you have a nice even hoof. I like using the growth rings as my guide, but I know there are other ways people go by. I'm going to have to go back out in the next few weekends and finish them up, I was getting to the pink and not quite finished. Also do any of you use a rasp/file? I bought one from hoeggers and it is somewhat akward, and I'm not sure if I like it's results.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I can't stand the rasp from Hoeggers; one of my 4H kids bought one and using it is very awkward. I have a regular farriers rasp. It is much easier to use.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I teach with a rasp better is a Sure Form Plane found at places like Lowes and Home Depot, a little metal box contraption with a rasp sort of thing built in that you can change when dull.

I trim with orange handled hoof trimmers (Shear majic etc..) around the horn of the hoof, the inside of the heels and the dew claws. Then I level off the hoof with a utility knife with new blades. Vicki

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Thia would be a good topic to document with photos. Can one of you please take a few pics of the process and post them?

I think it might be of help to more folks than just me.

Thanks

5. Oldntimes

Oldntimes Well-Known Member

I never get them straight.!!! I get pink, on the on the sole and I cut the wall down to the sole, but the heals are always black so maybe I am not cutting the heals down far enough.
    Colleen :shrug:

6. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I also use the "orange handled shears/hoof nippers"; they look like short bladed scissors but VERY strong and with spring handles.
    I have a weak left arm (not good with squirming goaties!), so I've never been able to get any good results with a rasp. Also, my goats have very tough soles (they play on rocky ground), so the "planer" thingy WORKED, but was a bit time consuming.
    When I trim, I go for balance on each foot= both 'toes' at equal height and angle. I find the right angle for each foot by looking under the hair at the very top where the hoof begins (in horses, we call this the coronet band.....same for goats??). Over time, I have discovered that if I trim the pointy toe FIRST, down to fresh sole, and then work backwards toward the heel (keeping with the line of the hair at the 'coronet band'), I feel I get a pretty decent trim. I nip the "outcroppings" between the toes at the heel just enough that they allow the toes to meet naturally.
    Sometimes, even the orange-handled blades are too long/awkward to get at certain angles that I want to nip back, so I grab my husband's small wire cutters (oh my! :p If he only knew...) and get the little flakes of hoof wall that like to trap dirt, etc.
    My goaties are very active and play in a rocky area a few times a week (when 'mom' has the time to babysit.....last time they 'played' on their own, they snuck over to my elderly neighbors and ate her roses..... :rolleyes: ), so I've never thought they needed a final rasping or sanding/planing/etc, but I'm sure if you show, It is probably necessary...
    fiasco farm has great pictures.... I think there's a link on this forum.....

7. festus

festus New Member

I use a drywall plane. It's easy to hold, cup, into my hand. I just cup their little feetsies into my hand while their pigging out and plane the main part of the hoof down so its even with the heel. I'm mostly shaving off the odd crusty parts that creap up the side of the hoof. Luckily, my goats' pens are rocky and most of our walking and playing is on rocky surfaces, too. This help keep their hooves at a manageable level as well.

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I too, start at the toe and work backwards. Some hooves are a breeze to do; others, like one of my seniors has the worst mishappen rear hooves and they grow fast. For kids I use a plain ol' kitchen scissors. I find it works better than the orange kind. Some goats stand fine too; others bucking broncos!