hoof trimming advice needed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by woody111, Sep 1, 2006.

1. woody111

woody111 pine grove farm

we just recently purchased our first pigmy goat so i am new to this. any advice would be great. i have done quite a bit of research on hoof trimming and i am some what confident that i can trim our new family members hoofs. my question is, how inportant is getting the hoof exactly even? after using the trimmer should a file be used to even them up or will they wear evenly? i'm just a little worried about my accuracy with my trimmer. thank you

2. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

I don't file. I trim the hoof as even as possible. It helps the goats to wear the hooves down if you supply them with rocks to play on, or if there is a cement surface available. I nail roofiing shingles to their 'playground equipment' (wooden spools, 2X8 walkways, picnic table etc). Shingles help keep the hooves pared down quite well and you won't need to trim as often.

3. woody111

woody111 pine grove farm

thank you witchysharon! what do all of you do out there? file or not file?

4. saraccon

saraccon Member

We don't file our ND's hooves. You will have to watch, some of ours have healthier feet than others. Some grow more quickly. Just give it a go and see how they look in a few weeks. It won't hurt not to file the first few trimmings. I like the shingle idea though...

5. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I don't file, either. (Since everybody else is saying what breeds they have, I have Saanens.) Hoof growth varies with each goat, and some have terribly sensitive feet, so I just do the best that I can, as far as getting them even.

As I'm sure you know, the idea of a nicely trimmed hoof is one where the goat walks on just a little of the hoof wall, not the sole. Some goats I have grow the backs of the soles of their feet, making an odd flap that goes over the bottom of their foot like a sandel without straps. This makes a disgusting moist environment, ideal for hoof rot. Needless to say, these goats are the ones that have their hooves trimmed every few weeks. Watch out for these types; hopefully your Pymy doesn't have this problem.

Best of luck!