Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my doe is limping slightly. When I trimmed her she only bled just a tiny bit. She had some rot, so I had to trim away some of the hoof wall which was already separated. Now when I picked up her foot to check it out, there is not blood or anything, not even a pick or inflamed area--I cant see what could be causing her pain. One side of the spilt-hooves is slightly shorter than the other, which makes me wonder if there is too much pressure being applied to the longer side? Does that make sense...IDK. Its very slight a difference, but if I match them up length wise by trimming up on the other side, I may make her bleed on the other side and I dont think I should do that....
Is she going to be alright....? This was my first trim. I think I did ok otherwise. Angle and everything is fine. I followed the growth rings.
thanks
Alisa~

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
She's trying to make you feel bad! :banana02: Seriously, sometimes they will limp for a couple of days after you nip them. Just check it for heat for a couple of days - if that hoof feels really warm, she may have a bit of an infection (unlikely).

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
She'll be just fine. If you want to even up the other side wait a week & take just a little off, wait another and work on it just a little a time.
No matter how careful we are I think most of us can admit to making someone bleed now & then!

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I appreciate your replies. I wanted to know I wasnt the only one I guess LOL. And that she'll be ok soon and not get worse! I feel better now. I'll check her out again tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts