hoof questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've been looking at goats, and it appears nobody in this area trims goat hooves. Now, this is not rocky ground, so every goat I have seen has badly overgrown hooves. Apparently, when I find 'my' goats, they will also have badly overgrown hooves. Questions:

1.) How do I tell the difference between hooves that will shape back up with proper trimming, and ones that are permanently damaged?

2.) I am assuming that I should trim these hooves with several, frequent, small trims rather than one big one. Is this correct?

3.) Since we don't have rocks, and buying them is expensive, and seems ridiculous, can I make a play place/hoof helper out of cement? I can build a climbing thingy for them, but want to make sure the cement will do no harm.

Thanks much,
    Meg :)

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

3. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

you can get some pretty bad ones in fairly good shape but takes awhile and can get a tad bloody. especially the ones that are pushed way out in front and turned off to the side, pinches the meat up there where it ought not be.

old cinder block may also work and be cheaper. minerals, feed, or treats on top to encourage use.

4. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

soaking the hooves will help soften them some, (have fun getting that goat to stand in a bucket of water :haha: ) but, it is true some just get too hard to cut w/normal hoof trimmers. horse hoof nippers will work on these type hooves, but you still have to have strong hands to make it happen. get younger goats, if you can and it won't be so hard to straighten them up. and yes, you can go until you see pink, flour works so does cornstarch, if you quick one.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Thanks for the thoughts folks. All appreciated.

I would have thanked you sooner, but I was out of town.

Meg :)