Hoof Problem

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Gunner, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Gunner

Gunner Member

I noticed one of my very pregnant ewes limping while I was doing my evening feeding today. I found one side of a front hoof was split. It looks like a toe nail that has been half way yanked off. I trimmed what she would let me trim, cleaned it up and sprayed it with an antiseptic spray. Is there anything else I can do?

2. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

You might want to add a shot of LA-200 to help fight infection. If you have an area to keep her in where she can keep her feet dry until that foot toughens up some would also be helpful.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

An LA Penicillan would work fine too.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Didn't I read somewhere that you don't want to give oxytetracycline (LA-200) to pregnant animals? Oh, yeah! It's in my Plum Veterinary Drug Handbook!
    -----------
    Because tetracyclines can retard fetal skeletal development and discolor deciduous teeth, they should only be used in the last half of pregnancy when the benefits outweigh the fetal risks.
    ---------------
    I'm thinking maybe another antibiotic would be a better choice. Or maybe a topical? Iodine wound spray?

5. mawalla

I'm only assuming that a "very pregnant ewe" is in the last half of her gestation. I, personally, don't like to give oxytetracycline because it stings like fire and my sheep hate me for weeks after having to get a shot, but it is the choice of many vets to give sheep that have foot problems. Probably because its success rate is so high.

6. Ross

I've used the LP version at all stages of pregnancy, with no obvious problems and it doesn't sting. They don't list any contraindictions like that for oxytetracycline LP or LA in my conpendium, and I've never heard of the "Plum Veterinary Drug Handbook" does it suggest the high magnesium content of the LA version is the problem?

7. mawalla

Ross,
    I believe that Laura Jensen was referring to PLUMB'S VETERINARY DRUG HANDBOOK. A misspelling, I suppose. The text was written by Donald C.Plumb, Pharm.D. There are a couple of them at the clinic and, if I remember, I'll look it up. However, these books are written and intended for the use of veterinarians and veterinarian students, neither of which am I! They can be, at times, complicaited for the layman to understand.

I'm not familiar with the LP version of oxytetracycline. Tell us about it.

8. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Laura Jensen, empty your inbox, I cant PM you. :)

9. Ross

LP= low pain, it is not a long acting oxytet rather it does require daily injections. I prefer it to the LA as it requires I remember to double check on the treated animal, with so much to do I can forget things if offered an easy solution. I wouldn't mind finding a copy of this Plumbs book, I sort of collect the type. Anyone have teh ISBN handy? Nothing about LA 200 andfetal deformity in the Merks or Hendersons but only the later is really meant for the layman. I wonder does Plumbs give a frequency for the side effect? Sounds like Gunners ewe is in late pregnancy anyhow but it's an interesting point.

10. mawalla

I'll have to look for the LP oxytet. My sheep will appreciate it. I know that there is an even longer acting oxtet. out there now. I can't remember the name, though. LA 300 or something.

11. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Mawalla is right, it is the "Veterinary Drug Handbook" by Donald C. Plumb. I have the third edition, copyright 1999. ISBN 0-8138-2444-3 for the desk edition; 0-8138-2353-6 for the Pocket Edition (the one I have).

And I would also guess that "very pregnant" is in the last half, but it also seems to indicate there are still risks, so an effective alternative would be my option. However, I just checked sulfadimethoxine and PenG, and they seem to carry similar contraindications regarding use during pregnancy. Ah well, I'll just run along now and leave this to you more experienced sheep people.

12. Ross

There are certainly enough references to use all three of the antibiotics in pregnant ewes in everything from the Merk to D Hendersons book The Veterinary Book for Sheep Farmers, Laura Lawsons Managing Your Ewe, etc. That's why I asked if there was any frequency for the side effect or something particular about LA drugs. Could be the benefit out weighs the risk. Thanks for the ISBN