hoof plane vs hoof trimmers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dale anne, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy ya'll......I am taking a class on trimming hooves so i can do my own goats since the folks that use to be paid to do them up and moved[and they need trimming bad]...so here is the question....I have 1 class that uses trimming shears and 1 that uses triiming planes...now which is the best way for a begginer to take first...once class will follow the next but which should I take first?......I wasnt aware that you could trim hooves with just a plane but this is what the class description says!..no need for sharp shears and trimmers...trim hooves with a plane every time..........these folks left me in a mess.....they were suppose to come out and trim the hooves..never showed and I waited and waited called again they said the wife was sick...so waited some more....then tried getting a man that does horses to do it told me no...so tried to call these folks again phone was disconnected..went to the house and they were gone!.....I really need to get these hooves back in order...thanks in advance...Dale Anne

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

IMO the planes work best when the hooves are already in good shape and you can hit them with the plane monthly.

I've used both, and I usually grab the trimmers (actually small pruning shears is what I use).

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Thanks ya'll....I have already got the trimmers and the plane now just have to learn how to use them...maybe I just took the class description wrong for the plane class......I have a book that tells me how to tend hooves step by step by am afraid I will do something wrong so going to take the class where it will be hands on instead of just try it on my own.....I had to order all above things for the classes so will be in good shape after i learn what I am doing....Thanks Dale Anne