Hoof injury- please advise

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by animal_kingdom, Apr 23, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago, I had a ewe (katahdin) standing by the gate. The sheep never stand by the gate. My daughter said that it seemed as if she was stuck. As my daughter got closer, the ewe jumped up and ran.

Daughter saw her limping and went to check it out. Foot was bleeding from the top and sides.

Only thing I can think of was that she got her foot stuck under this tube gate under the tube end. When she jumped, her hoof caught and was cut about 3/4 of the way down. Nothing was sliced but it looked like a part of a circle, thus making me believe it was the edge of the tube that cut her.

I washed it clean, put stuff on her hoof. Put gauze between her hoof as ony one side was cut. Then wrapped it tight. Gave her ani-biotic and kept her in a very small pen to keep her from moving too much.

I took bandage off today after giving her another shot of anit-biotic. No smell, no more bleeding. The guaze was stuck of course and I was reluctant to soak it to take it off only because if it was healing, I wouldn't want to soften any tissue and cause infection if there wasn't one already.

Did trim guaze as much as possible and left the stuck part on.

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have done that.

What do you think?

I never had a severe injury and the only time I had hoof problems was when I trim a bit close. but they really aren't any big deal.

Anything I should be watching for? Ewe is eating fine, letting her wee one nurse and putting small amounts of pressure on her foot.

how long should I be watching her after she puts pressure on the foot?

Just concerned.

Thanks!
    Mama

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd keep her in a dry pen and keep the area open so it will stay dry. If she can put weight on it and it's healed over then you won't need to check it.

3. animal_kingdom

Thanks Ross.
    We had spruced up her pen and its fresh. She's got a pen by the barn door which has been open for the air circulation.
    Your confirmation was what I needed!

4. animal_kingdom

We were able to put our sheep out into a larger fresh air outdoor pen today.

She is putting adequate pressure on her hoof and leg now. She's a mite slow but seems happy and in no pain.

I might have kept her in longer than necessary if you wouldn't have given me such good advice. Thanks!