Hoof and Mouth threat?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hoof and mouth is not uncommon in the world, someparts would need decades to eradicate it if it was possible at all. China, Africa, some S American countries and most notably the middle east. With so many American troops coming and going I wonder if they might not track it back on their boots or equipment or end up being carriers through contractign the illness themselves. Anyone know if the military takes any precautions acid washing the stuff and doing medical checks? I think if I had relatives returning home from high risk areas I'd soak their clothes in a vinegar (or Virkon) wash and keep them away from the critters for a couple of weeks.

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of any precautions being taken to try and sanitize their gear.

3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Ross,

My brother is just now returning from his tour in Iraq and the last step of the process after leaving Iraq was to drive to Kuwait where they cleaned their machines and gear from top to bottom, and now wait for their flight out. So, evidently this is a concern and they are required to take measures to hopefully prevent transportation of these little creepies back home.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Glad to hear your brother is on his way home. Good to hear the military is taking precautions too.