Hood latch mechanism on Geo metro

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by nans31, Mar 1, 2005.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I was going down the road yesterday at 50 mph when my hood came flying up and smacked against the windshield! I am assuming it broke,(the hood latch, not the windshield-- amazingly enough the windshield is fine!) although you can't (I can't) tell my looking at it. I purchased another one at a junkyard and am trying to put it on. I got it unbolted alright, but I can't get the cable holding it to the hood release to come off.
    Does anyone have any info on how to ge it off?
    Thanks! Nan

2. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Nan

I can't answer your question, but I have a question for you:

Doesn't that hood have the standard 2 stage release used in modern vehicles? The 1st being the under dash release, and the 2nd being the outside of the car in the middle of the hood, hard to locate- every car model is a little bit different, release?

If so, could the 1st stage release have been released when you started, and the spring in the 2nd stage was the problem?

Just wondering.

3. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Rick. You are right, it is a 2 stage release system. I think your probably right about the spring as well. I (or really my 14 yo son!) figured out how to release the cable from the hood release and I got the new one on. The springs on the old one are very rusty and sticks. I imagine that was the problem.
    Even so, I've wired the hood shut just to make sure it wont happen again!!
    nan