Honore: America's in denial about gun culture

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wiscto, Jul 28, 2015.

1. wiscto

wiscto Well-Known Member

This one is making the rounds on facebook right now. It's probably going to be a prairie fire in this place but, I think it's worth reading what the guy has to say.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/27/honore-americas-denial-gun-culture/30764255/

Ana Bluebird, emdeengee and Fennick like this.
  2. no really

no really Well-Known Member

IMHO it is a mental health problem, nobody wants to go there either.

3. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Much in the same way that Americans decided that their right to privacy wasn't worth terror threats like 9/11, Americans will eventually decide that their second Amendment rights aren't worth the mass shootings we see. I can't say what the timing will be, but I'm confident that it will happen sooner or later.

Fennick likes this.
  4. JeffreyD

JeffreyD Well-Known Member

You've been confident about a lot of things that didn't / aren't happening too! But you won't see what you wish for in your lifetime!

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I suspect that will be far into the future if at all, Nevada. Anyone who rises to that level in the military has to know how to suck ass. It's all about the politics to become a flag officer. He's just proven he excels in that regard.

That doesn't make the man a sociologist, historian, psychologist or anything relevant to explaining the level of crime in this country. Until anyone, anywhere in this country can go to sleep at night with their doors unlocked and walk anywhere at any time of the day or night, the so-called gun culture isn't going away particularly given the increasingly predatory government we have.

What we're reading is the equivalent of a celebrity endorsement. Neither I nor a lot of other Americans are buying what he's selling.

6. Nevada

Of course getting around the privacy provisions of the constitution was easy, since the Bush administration's position was that his duty to keep Americans safe superseded all other provisions of the constitution. Whether he was right or wrong on that, he had the blessing of both congress (the Patriot Act) and the American people. That was particularly true for conservatives, who trusted that GWB would never abuse extra-constitutional powers.

You might say that 9/11 was an extraordinary event, but it only takes one event to turn the whole thing around. I don't know if I'll see blanket gun bans in my lifetime, but it will happen.

7. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

You would think a military man would "get it" more than that. sigh.

So, they lock up the small arms when the troops aren't using them. But what he fails to mention, there are armed guards on duty at all times to protect the base and the troops. That's what makes them safe enough to secure the small arms away from the soldiers in the first place. For us civilians, our "armed guards" are the cops, and they aren't exactly standing guard duty over our neighborhoods and shopping/entertainment districts, now are they? They respond after the fact and take a report and process a crime scene.

And the tired old comparison to the UK and Europe. The UK disarmed not only its subjects but its cops. So logic would dictate their gun violence rate is zero...but somehow I don't think that's the case.

Here in the US we are only a few generations away from the pioneers, the real homesteaders. Their guns were very important to them. A means to hunt food, protection from dangerous wild animals, people with bad intentions, etc. But by the time gun technology had advanced to where they were really practical to use, the UK and most of Europe were already "tamed". The alpha predator in the UK is a fox for Pete's sake. So there is a good reason guns are so ingrained into the American culture, it wasn't that long ago when most people really needed them for survival.

8. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

I wonder how many mental hospitals could be built and maintained with a 1/2 cent tax per bullet? I'm normally against any new or increased tax, but would shooters mind paying a very small amount extra to get these liberal gun-grabbers of our backs every time a mentally deranged person gives them fodder for their cause?

It's a pipe dream, I know. Like the "SS Trust Fund", the politicians would squander it on more solar panel and ethanol subsidies, and the ACLU would scream bloody murder (as they did to close the hospitals in the first place), but at least it's an option.

Sometimes I wonder if the anti-gun people don't look forward to the next batch of innocents being mowed down to push their agenda further.

AngieM2, Tricky Grama and Sawmill Jim like this.
  9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

10. Bearfootfarm

As long as guns remain in private hands, you won't get them off anyone's back.
    Building hospitals won't make any difference

cfuhrer likes this.
  11. Nevada

Fifteen years ago I might have agreed with you, but after hearing Americans say, "Go ahead and take my constitutional rights, I don't care just as long as I don't get hurt." What makes you think Americans will be any different about their guns?

Also keep in mind that only about 1/3rd of American households have a gun. The other 2/3rds without a gun don't have anything to lose by banning guns. Logically, giving up privacy rights should have been a more difficult fight, since all Americans have a stake in privacy.

12. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

Now that's thinking outside the box.

There are all kinds of "self funded" or creatively funded programs. Like the beef checkoff, $1 per head sold and *poof* they have a multi million dollar budget every year to do research and promotion. I believe the honey board has a similar "tax" for their industry.

However I would want it to be handled by the private sector and not the govt. Give them a 50 cent tax and it will soon be a $5 tax just like all the other "sin taxes". Whereas the beef checkoff hasn't gone up in over 20 years....

kasilofhome, Ozarks Tom and cfuhrer like this.
  13. Bearfootfarm

That data comes from polls, and I suspect many just say no when asked if they own guns.
    There have been increasing numbers of guns sold each year since BO was elected

I wouldn't put much faith in the "household" figures

http://www.gallup.com/poll/179213/six-americans-say-guns-homes-safer.aspx

14. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

If this crazy wild west behavior; shooting up the town, school, theater or whatever was dealt swiftly with wild west type justice, these crimes would go down in a hurry.

Example ..... the Boston marathon bomber. Why is that SOB still sucking air? They knew he was guilty days after the crime, yet he's not yet been punished. If and when he ever gets executed, most will have forgotten about the crime.
    That dude should have been in court, charged and executed within two weeks, while fresh in everyone's mind, then maybe the next nutcase would be less likely to try something like that, knowing there will be swift and dire consequences.

This country has always had a lot of guns. Problem is, we are now more tolerant of nutjobs than ever.

15. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Actually, did you know that shooters already pay a national tax on ammo?

11%, to be exact, a lot more than 1/2 cent per bullet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman–Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act

And did you know us gun nuts have fought to keep that tax?

16. Nevada

It's not what people think about guns, it's how many have them.

[​IMG]
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...aphics-and-politics-of-gun-owning-households/

17. Bearfootfarm

Sawmill Jim, MO_cows, Rivmage and 2 others like this.
  18. no really

no really Well-Known Member

19. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Amazing what's left after so many losses.

Sumatra likes this.
  20. poppy

poppy Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better. Spot on.