Honeysuckle eradication

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by POULTRYWAGON, Feb 20, 2005.

1. POULTRYWAGON

POULTRYWAGON Active Member

My dad has some Japanese honeysuckle that is completely taking over his garden spot....he's tried digging it up, cutting it back, etc. but it's a full time job, with not too great results..... :(
    It grows in other areas of the property, too, covering up small trees and killing them.

Any of you who have dealt with this.... what did you do to get rid of it? He has hesitated to use chemical means, but is beginning to lean in that direction, as this is a very invasive plant.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

2. If goats will eat it then they will eventually kill it out in 2-5 years. Other than that weed killer might do the trick.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what brand of Honeysuckle we have but my goats love it...they attack it everytime they get into the house yard. I wouldn't say ours is invasive though, good for growing over the sheds...and the fragrance is divine.

4. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

We had an invasive honeysuckle that was literally pulling down a chain link fence. We were lucky that we built a retaining wall there and dug up several feet of ground, which got rid of most of it :D I do have a few spots to tackle this spring. i was going to mow it down as close as I can and cover it with a heavy plastic and mulch, to try and smother it. I don't want chemicals because I will be working around a huge lilac, climbing roses and tiger lillies that I would like to keep. Worst case, I'll sacrifice those plants to keep the honeysuckle out of the trees. Whoever planted this here deserves to be horse whipped!!! :yeeha: (and that is putting it nicely)

Carla

5. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

If you want natural control it would be hard after it has built up a large root mass :no: Grazing and pruning tend to just change the form of the plant. If you have a couple of plants that you can snip as soon as regrowth starts, it will work. With a large rootmass it may come up un noticed away from the origanol spot and nurish the rootbase untill you spot it. If it is spreading even with your best efort it is time to look at chemical control. Always think twice before you introduce invasive or non native plants and have a plan to keep them in check, mint is one example.

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have several areas where honeysuckle and wild roses have taken over everything. Hubby is currently working on the largest area which is next to the house. Some of those honeysuckle vines are as big as my wrist! Once he gets it cleared to the ground we plan to keep it mowed. Hopefully, the honeysuckle will eventually die.

I refuse to use chemicals.

7. POULTRYWAGON

POULTRYWAGON Active Member

Thanks for your advice and comments. :)
    It's true, the honeysuckle smells wonderful..... I love that about it. But it's not worth the trouble. ;)
    When my dad bought his property, it was already growing there...it grows wild in this area of North Carolina. We wouldn't plant the stuff for love or money! :p
    Thanks again, everyone...