Honeycrisp Pollinator

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MN Gardener, May 19, 2008.

1. MN Gardener

MN Gardener Well-Known Member

I just finally found a Honeycrisp apple tree, according to the nurseries around here they are hard to get. I was able to get it into my car and back home with no problems. Of course when I got it home and read the slip on it, it said that it needed a pollinator. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pollinator? There are about 5 apple trees about 300 feet away, will that be too far for pollination? Can I use a crab apple tree? I would appreciation any suggestions on varieties. I am in zone 3a/4.

2. TaylorMade

TaylorMade Zone 2

We just planted a Honeycrisp yesterday! :sing: We also planted 6 other apple trees of different varieties. The info we have on them says they can cross pollinate with pretty much any other hardy apple, as long as they are blooming at about the same time. Rescue crab is a popular one, but if you don't mind another regular apple, try Goodland or Battleford. Oh - and pollinators should be within 150 feet. Good luck with yours!!

3. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

From what I have read, the crabapple trees make excellent pollinators for any of the apple varieties since they have a long season.

4. MN Gardener

DH just bought enough 6' high rabbit fence to fence about 5 acres! So we should be good to go there. I just planted 2 Haralsonred last year, before we decided to get the house ready to sell and build on the back 10 acres....go figure! Those are the ones that are about 300' from where the new garden will be.

5. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

i planted a honeycrisp a couple years ago and was told and read on the tag that it was a self pollinator

6. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

well i just googled it and needless to say i am not to happy with the nursery i bought this form--i only bought one because i didnt need a pollinator--guess i am going to have to get another apple tree this year

7. MN Gardener

I second what WIHH said.....I would bring the tag back to the nursery you bought it at and complain. Maybe they will give you a discount on another tree. Although I think they owe you another tree! I would be soooo mad:flame: