Honey label question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Cyngbaeld, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I was buying honey at the grocery store yesterday. Of course I was comparing prices. One brand was labeled '16 oz/1 pt' and was in a one pint canning jar. Another brand, in the identical canning jar was labeled '24 oz' and was quite a bit higher priced. They were both produced here in OK. So I looked at the other brands, but they were in all sorts of different containers with different amts written on them. That made it really hard to compare, especially if 1oz in this bottle does not equal 1 oz in another. So what gives?

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Most of the time the oz indicated on a label is weight, not volume. Most states (for example, Ohio where I'm at) have a law that require sales by weight and prohibit sale by any other metric.

Mike

3. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Yes, honey is usually labeled by weight. This is a FDA thingy. If the volume of two container looks the same then the weight should be the same.

4. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here in Indiana - honey must be sold by weight. As I recall, a one pint jar (16 oz volume) will hold 24 oz (by weight) of honey.

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

a pint jar in reality only holds around 12 onces of honey , you can take a gallon by weight and put it into 10 pint jars and have some left not quite a full jar.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

The two I was comparing were absolutely identical glass jars. And one said 16 while the other said 24. These were not shipped across state lines so maybe they weren't going according to fed standards. Maybe the fellow who put 16oz on his label thinks he should be selling by volume? Anyhow, his is cheaper so reckon he gets my business! LOL
    Thanks.