Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,229 Posts
This is year 2 for me.

Last year I started with a 3# box o' bees and captured a swarm. Made a split from one.

Didn't take honey from any hives last year.

Lost the split over the winter (starved out.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,229 Posts
This year we have harvested 57# from 2 hives - have another 2 medium supers ready to extract (waiting for BIL to come up this weekend to join in). The two boxes weigh 95# - of course that includes box, frames, wax, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,229 Posts
I am going into my 2nd winter with hives and have never chemically treated for mites.

For varroa mites, I also use open bottom hives with slatted racks and a 3" spacer between the slatted rack and the bottom super. I will smoke the hive with pine needles to encourage excess grooming. Next year I will place 2 frames with drone foundation in each hive so I can remove excess drones.

There has also been success against tracheal mites by using small cell foundation.

I noticed varroa once this year in one of my hives, after smoking with pine needles and placing menthol crystals* in hive for two days, I no longer saw any varroa. (* temps need to be above 80. I will place a plastic baggie poked with holes inside the inner cover and leave for a couple days.)

My hives have plenty of stores (2 full supers) going into the winter.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top