Homesteading Village

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Morriagiolla, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Morriagiolla

Morriagiolla Well-Known Member

Hey all.....I am a newbie, but very much a homesteader at heart....I live in town.....but own my own garden.....herbs mostly.

:confused: A group of close friends and I are looking into starting a homesteading village....any ideas and or tips you can think of?

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It depends on how you want to do it. If I were to create a 'homesteading village' myself, I would have individual homes privately owned, with space for small individually owned gardens. That way, if somebody wants to leave, they can be bought out with no significant financial loss to them. The fields, pasture, barn, 'village green', etc., would be commonly owned and worked by the community. For people just joining, visitors, etc. , there should be some sort of a common house with hotel-style accomidations (or perhaps just crash space with matresses on the floor). I would also definitely have some sort of a screening process for new residents who might want to join. There are all kinds of nutcases out there, and I wouldn't want to become a halfway house wandering tranients, and whatnot. Also, while I am very much a libertarian, I believe a functioning community needs to have some sort of rules, be they formally written down and agreed to in the presence of a lawyer, or just an informal unwritten code of conduct. It would definitely help if there was an agreed-upon leader with a unifying vision for what the vilage should be doing, rather than a committee which could wind up pulling the village in half a dozen directions at onece. Again, this is just how I would do it.

If you are going in on this with friends, I'd be careful. Liveing cheek-to jowl can definitely try a friendship, especially if there is a mix of singles and couples.

3. Morriagiolla

1. Criosta an Ri Church (denomonation unclear at this point)

2. Didean Village Hall

3. Criosta an Ri Christian School

4. Shadow House (the safe house)

5. Morria's Herbal Shop and Photography Studio

6. Didean Appartments

7. Deb's Clothing Designs

8. Clinics (Medical and Vet) and Market Square

9. Village Homes (Victorian -simple not the fancy ones-, Southwest, and Irish Country Style)

10. Villlage Gardens

11. Graveyard

12. Barns, Ranching and Farming

That was the list of stuff we in time want to see their (I am a photographer....so that is why that is there...heee,hee)
    I what

4. Morriagiolla

5. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

You might want to research other back-to-the-land group efforts. From the late 1800s to the late 1970's many people tried to accomplish this in various ways. I don't know of any still working today (although I seem to recall a 70's farm co-op still exists in TN and markets soy products). They fell apart for good reasons, maybe you can learn from thier experiences. The library and internet should be able to lead you to the informantion of such Utopian groups.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Take a look at the thread on this forum named "Living." The thread is four pages long and is all about someone who wants to start a homesteading village in Maine.

7. Morriagiolla

my thanks....interesting thoughts....though we're not trying to sell food beyound the village....hee.hee.....just crafts and stuff like that.

8. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

diane greene,ma'am,I belive your right,The Farm is still in TN starterd by Stephen Gaskin(I think).Can't forget the Shakers,BASIC.

9. Morriagiolla

The Shakers? Lol....I have studied the Amish, Shakers, early settlers.....alot.....as well as Native Americans.....

as the Shaker song goes....
    "Tis a gift to be simple, Tis a gift to be free, Tis a gift to live life as it ought to be!"

10. Morriagiolla

what do you all think of starting it in wyoming or montana(sp?)?

11. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

What do YOU think of the idea?? Shorter growing season, harder winters, beautiful country

12. Morriagiolla

We like it thus far....from what we've studied.....were thinking of ranching too....so....yeah. :D

13. Morriagiolla

We are still searching for ideas.... homesteading farming.... homesteading ranching.... linen making.... wool weaving..... good animals for wyoming or montana(sp?)

Any and ALL ideas are helpful.... and yes were dead serious about this...

14. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a magazine "Communities" that is about intential communities of all kinds. Covers lots of territory, so it is worth looking a quite a few issues of it as it may take awhile before it has articles about things that interest you. Lots of ads and contact information for existing and potential communities too.

Jim

15. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a farmer, not really a homesteader. But I find this place interesting, so here I am. :)

I find both farmers & homesteaders to typically be rather independent, & possessive. Generally, that is the total _opposie_ of living in a common community.

So, I find your perposal interesting (as I do with to-live-free's ideas) but really very different than anything I would _ever_ want to be involved in.....

I guess, perhaps, you won't really get much help - folks kinda try to think independently & how can I _own_ my own property so no one else tells me what to do.....

We are more interested in your thoughts & ideas & reasons for trying this....

Just idol thoughts from late at night. :)

--->Paul

16. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

seems like their is alot of people looking to do the same thing that i have proposed .
    complete town like setting (mine 1770's to 1820)
    animals,
    hand made ciders, wines, food products,
    my suggestion is not to ask people here to join, as rambler has said most here are devoted independants. I have thought since i have done civil war reenacting, i came across a great many people all saying the wish they could live like that now, i have come to the conclusion that this is the wrong forum to ask others to join. i have had a group say they would like to join from arizona that were raised in pennsylvania.
    i have even thought having most of my "industries" be seasonal incase i could not find a sizable amount of people to settle also.
    i have found out in this forum you'll have roughly half of the people say things that could be construed as negative comments and the other with concerns to keep you from failing.
    plan and plan and research some more

17. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

This is an idea that my dh and I used to think often. Being hippie throwbacks, LOL, we thought that it would be a great idea, but truthfully how long could you make it work. The Farm in TN has a great site. Take a look at that one. They are still in existence today but in a much different capacity than originally intended. We have thought about going there for a visit sometime...

Honestly, we DO want our own place. I think most ppl are tired of having everyone dictate to them what they can and cannot do and want to have their own place. I would say, to make it successful, go with what the pp suggested--have each person/family own their own plot of land, their own garden space, animals, etc. Keep a fair amount of stuff separate, that way ppl who wish to leave can do so.

We are talking with our families right now to see who might want to go in with us on some property. Hard to trust outsiders, harder still to trust family. It better be one heck of a big piece of property with MY family, ROFL...

I think it is a good idea, but like anything, will take a lot of research to make it work. I am interested to hear more.

18. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

19. Morriagiolla

Well....first of all.... most of us are very disenchanted with the ways modern soicity is going....we want to in some ways return to the older ways....and values. As well, we believe God gave us the job to be stewards of the earth He created...thus we are seeking to build and use items that are friendly to the land and creatures about us. Yet....we dont want to give up all of modern technolgy....there for we intend on using solar, wind, and water power.

20. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I think you need to rent the movie, THE VILLAGE. :rolleyes: