Homesteading Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Jun 20, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

You thin-skins notice I am staying on topic and posting this as a question:

How is life in the country for you today?

And you wannabes --- do you still wish you are with us?

God Bless and LIVE IT LARGE!

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Life in the country is wonderful for me today!

The sun is shining and the birds are singing. This morning when we went out to feed our horses, there was a deer going down the road (and she did not go into my garden!) and my dog, Nikita and I watched her for awhile as she stood still watching us for before she went on her way.

My husband has driven down to a neighbor (a mile away) to pick up a load of free wood he is giving us. He has a tractor trailer full of wood he has accummulated over the years and wants us to have it. Plus he has a huge pile of firewood that he just wants to get rid of. Aren't we the lucky ones today?

And on Friday, I had a really good sale on my website & I am so excited about it!!!!

Also 2 of my Homesteading today friends have expressed interest in putting their products on my site and one is already up!!! Way to go!

Also I started my Blog finally and I love it! If anyone else has one let me know the address as I love this blog thing. I wonder who invented this? Anyway mine is at this address: http://katlupesblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/june-20-2005.html just in case you are interested.

Now aren't you sorry you asked? About how is life in the country today? I hope I didn't get off the subject, but I am in the country, and this is how life is for me.

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

katlupe --- I checked out all of that --- it is cool to the max. I love you.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Warning: Life in the country can be addicting!

I get itchy when I have to drive in traffic or manuever neighborhoods looking for the correct house for some kid's birthday party. My favorite thing is buying everything I need for the weekend by Friday night and not leaving the land until time for church on Sunday morning. I love to get up on Saturday morning knowing I don't have to rush away. I let the chickens and ducks out of their coop and give them fresh weeds I've pulled from the closest garden area and then I sit in a rocker on the porch with my cup of tea and let them entertain me. The songbirds swoop in and out and dragon flies dart around the pond and I am as happy as can be. Ocassionally I will putter over to do a chore that is screaming to be done, like throw in a load of laundry or turn the stove on under whatever is in the pot for lunch. Sometimes, the dog just needs patting for an extended length of time.

I could do this 24/7 if I didn't have to earn a living or make a whack at housekeeping. Luckily, my kids love it, too. We feel sorry for anyone not able to homestead!

5. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

I am a wanna be and I am jealous, very jealous..........

edited b/c I can't spell nomally and it is worse when holding a wiggly baby

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

This morning I went out and let the ducks out of their pen. Then I let three yearling goats into that pen to get breakfast. I milked three other goats (thanks mamalisa), and fed another doeling. Then I fed ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys and rabbits. Came back through and watered everyone. Walked through the garden, and picked tomatoes, green beans, and jalapenos. Inspected the bell peppers, black beans, melons and pumpkins. Talked to the herbs. Gathered eggs from the henhouse on the way back. Put my husband on a plane. As soon as I tear myself away from here, I'll return a borrowed trailer, run to the trash dump, then the feed store. After that is done, I have a load of grilled meats leftover from a party to vaccum seal and freeze. Then a house to clean. Then start the evening milking and chores...and I'm going to bed early tonight!

Woohoo!
    Meg

7. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

The link to your ebay store doesn't work. The link should be
    stores.ebay.com. You have store.ebay.com.

-tonto

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Life is really good!

The ducks figured out the ramp into the old stock tank we set up for them. So today as soon as I opened up their house they ran to the tank at a dead run and haven't left yet. Nothing better than watching happy ducks play.

We got the chickens into their own coop a couple of days ago and let them out for a bit today. It was so fun watching them wander around on pasture for the first time! And watching the goats figure out what these little things were.

We lost one guinea last night. :( I don't know what happened. The rest of them are healthy looking and energetic as ever. We'll get them moved out to their coop in the orchard in the next few days - they're big enough. Then I get to reclaim my bathroom and de-birdify my house!

Everything in the garden is going great guns - especially the weeds! Except for the cucumbers. They keep disappearing as soon as they sprout. I've tried 3 plantings now. I think I'll just plant that area with basil starts or more potatoes - better to have it produce something than just waste seeds.

Also, found the world's dumbest wasp nest. Just a little one. Inside the duck house. Something tells me that wasp wasn't long for this world - it sure wasn't around when I was in there mucking the place out.

9. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I am in the country, but still a wannabe because I am jealous of those with well-established homesteads! We are still working on getting animals out here, so we're just a veggie homestead I suppose. :)

But it is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I love the quietness throughout the day... I love sending my girls out without fear of traffic to play in the yard. They love walking through the "jungle" garden as they call it. Yes, I have lost my kids in the garden. :haha:

We also found a hundred or so baby tadpoles in the small wading pool that we had been using as the feet cleaning pool (before everyone gets into the big pool). We got to watch some grow down at the creek, but it is all dried up now and most of the frogs have gone elsewhere... but now we get to see it all happen again right out front! :)

I wouldn't trade it for the world.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if I'm thin-skinned or a wannabe, but I do know there's no place like my home in the country. I just spent the last two days at my parents' place in the country...helping my mom in her garden and watching an 80-year-old man snake logs out of Daddy's woods with two white mules. Also saw first hand how weak and sick my Daddy is from the cancer that's killing him. Cried off and on the whole way home and then hubby cried with me. Guess that would make both of us thin-skinned.

Went out to my garden and spent some time chatting with my hens, then I pulled grass in the garden and picked tobacco worms off the tomatoes for them. I made those chickens real happy and felt better myself after spending some time in the garden and then sitting at the pond with my hubby watching the dogs swim for the sticks we threw out.

That's how my day has been.

11. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

So Nw Sneaky are you a wanna be?? Or are you a thin skin? I am living in my world and loving EVERY minute of it.
    Went out and got eggs petted my birds played with the pond still tring to get it just right the ducks love it tho.
    Took my 3 yr old nephew out to the barn and we got the eggs of course he dropped em he always does no biggie one day he will learn. Sat on the deck in the rocker had a drink with hubby watching the birds loving the day....just another day in paradise

12. frogmushroom

frogmushroom New Member

Started the day at 6 am, the mist was still rising and the air was cool and still. I fed and watered the chicks in the brooder. I did some internet surfing and then made some breakfast for myself and daughter. After that we picked some clover and stuck it into the wires in the hardware cloth over the top of the brooder. The chicks went crazy with delight grabbing it and eating it. We went to the creek and I got creek grit for the birds and my daughter danced around and played in the water. We went to town for supplies. I came back and hung a new birds feeder and some hummingbird feeders too. I got some pieces I need to do some repairs.

I feel quiet and peaceful. At the end of the day, I don't need to recover from it. I am happy and content. My daughter told me that I am the best Mom she knows. I told her that I still have room for improvement, for example I am behind on the housework. She said, "I don't care about THAT, I just want you, Ma Ma".

Life is soooooooooooo good.

Frog

13. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Life in the wild woods is good but is also sometimes, (like today) hard. I would not change it but sometimes I would like an easier life. Perhaps it is cause I am aging...or maybe it is the hot flashes making me nuts. Today I just wanted to stay in bed and hide out but NOPE I was up and out at dawn , felling trees, piling slash, feeding hens and watering veggies. Tonight I am tired and still wish I had stayed in bed LOL. Sitting here listening to a major t-storm pounding on the steel roof knowing the rain barrels will be full tomorrow so the duck wading pool will get fresh water!

14. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Well, except for a toothache that has me
    awake at midnight, life in the country is
    wonderful to me. We're just renting until
    we find something affordable where we can
    REALLY homestead, but were very fortunate
    to find a rental that allowed animals and had
    acreage and outbuildings! This is a good
    transistion home for us as we were used to
    a much longer, warmer growing season.

Our oldest left the nest a couple years