Homesteading pics - added some today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Homesteader, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

2. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing........

3. kidsnchix

kidsnchix Well-Known Member

Enjoyed your pictures very much. Looks like you have a really nice set-up.
    Love your goats and I hope to have a greenhouse one of these days.

Rosekytn

4. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Enjoyed your pictures ! You don't list your location, but it looks like you are in a desert-type area. I would like to do a similar type greenhouse when DH retires and has more time for building. I worry about wind blowing off the plastic though - we get some damaging winds around here once in awhile. Have you had any problems with wind?
    One other question - since your grounds appear pretty dry, how do you keep the nice green grass in the goat pasture?

5. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

green house looks great ,as for wind problems i have not had any my large 1500sq feet greenhouse worried me when i first had it put up and i have since built a small 300sq feet as a cold frame using pvc pipe and have had no problem there either ,its a very stable design ,however watch snow loads!on larger units with a double skin and a air cusion layerwhen snow builds up flip the air off for a minute and then flip it back on and turn up the heat for some melt. the snow is another reason to make the angle of the green house more eliptical than round or use an angle peak . honestly this design is the easyest and cheepest thing you will ever erect

6. Homesteader

Yes we live in the desert southwest. We have to irrigate ANY thing we grow - average rainfall here is 4 inches and it usually comes an inch at a time. You cannot see them in the picture but there are four pop-up rainbird type sprinklers in each corner of the goat grass. Two come on (all our water is on automatic timers) at one time. We have had no trouble with wind and we get ferocious spring winds here - 50-60 mph not uncommon, and often 35+ for days. The bottom edge of the greenhouse plastic was stapled and then wrapped several times around wood poles, then placed on the ground, although I think we did dig down a little so they'd be snug. Never a problem. Remember though we did use greenhouse plastic. Plain 'ol 4 or 6 ml stuff would probably get shredded bad, not mention it only lasts us one season anyway.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :cool:

7. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh wow Homesteader... if your where I think you are I grew up down there!! In the Coachella Valley??? Pics look awfully familuar.. :yeeha:

Nice set up. Know what you mean by having to irrigate everything that you grow. Used to have to irrigate pastures all summer long....

8. Homesteader

Jan O, nope, sorry that's not where we are. Southern Nevada. Glad you liked the pics.