Homesteading (Personal) website

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CJ, May 2, 2004.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm just curious as to exactly what you like to see on someone's personal homestead website. I really enjoy visiting other folks' sites, and it's amazing how they vary. I can't even guess how many times I've changed the format and content of ours, or kept more than one, never really certain what I wanted on it.
    Obviously these discussion boards are great, and I keep a sheep one, but they're a pain to maintain and I wouldn't want to deal with the kind of traffic that this one gets.

I like to see pictures of how people set their places up, their projects, and I LOVE reading their online journals/weblogs, whatever you want to call them!

I finally converted ours to a weblog and photo journal, and I think I'm finally content with it. Before adding the journal, it just seemed too static, I mean you can only take so many farm pictures and keep them interesting on static pages.

My favorite part of keeping the weblog has become reading the emails and occasional guestbook post I get from people I don't know who really enjoy reading it.

Anyway, I'm just looking for more ideas of what people find interesting to read on these type of sites.

2. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

I like your site and have noted it before.
    I dont have one although would be nice. I just hate popups and all that stuff you get stuck with while using free websites. (yours doesnt have that, very nice)
    Not ready to pay for one yet.
    :)

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I like hearing about the animals folks have and how they care for them- especially their experiences with specific breeds of chickens or goats or whatever. Garden photos are really great too!

Cait

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Pictures, lots of pictures with closeups of details. I learn more from seeing other folks set up and homemade solutions. And dont be afraid to explain even the simplest thing. sometimes those simple solutions are the ones another person hasnt thought about at all. For months I had been trying to think of a way to put roll insulation between my rafters which are 4 feet apart, a sloped shed roof. Roll insulation isnt that wide. Then I noticed a pic on a site and the guy was putting up the wall board starting at the bottom of the slope and then pouring in bags of loose insulation as he worked his way up. WELLL DUHHHHH. :eek: Why didnt I think of that.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

So pretty much ya'll enjoy show and tell sites? Are farm journals of interest? How about stuff you sell?

I don't like pop ups either, in fact I'll leave the site if they have them, and music. I don't know why musical websites bug me, but they really do.

I prefer very clean websites with easy to read text. I see alot of them with tons of clipart and cartoony text. I think my first one looked like that :)

But mainly it's content I'm interested in, what folks like to read, and what they DON'T like to see.

I like to track our traffic and see who's visiting, and I find it amazing that the bulk of the visitors to our site are city dwellers! I never expected that. One of the highest traffic volumes sites we get is from some planning forum I'd never heard of, and can't figure out why we get so many visitors from it.

Anyway I'd love to hear more about what everyone likes/doesn't like to see. Our site is just a hobby for me, but I really enjoy it and would like other people to enjoy it as well.