Homesteading Forum banner
1,021 - 1,035 of 1,037 Posts
Discussion starter · #1,023 ·
After I got heat pump installed, I cocooned...lost a family member, then the pandemic hit. Repeatedly driving up to an unclad house began to irritate me. Lot of procrastination with siding options. Clad it in metal, no rain-screening required, but I am, more or less, stuck with color. I went with Hardi (12" wide), but that meant Rain-screening. The siding has to be at least 1/2" off wall to allow drying behind siding. With main floor being ICF, it is considered a 'mass wall', and no rain-screening required. But I failed to account for rain-screening on second floor (first floor flush with second floor), so I just rain-screened all of it. Absolute pain in the .... Felt like I was putting on siding twice. However, after months of fussing, it is almost done.

I did all trim in metal (no rot for me...see how long the metal finish lasts). First pic shows rain-screening. I used 3/4" PT ply strips, aluminum bug screen above window.

Looking Good Meli.

As you know I also did a Rainscreen installation but used live edge Easter White Cedar with a 1" airflow space behind it. Ohh I am SO Happy with the result and the efficiency gain is certainly worth it. Because I used Bailey Boxes for the window & door openings I did not have to Bug/Critter screen for those spots.

But sure enough I got a "Gotcha". Frappin Chipmunks ! The damned blighters found a hole and made it bigger, got behind the siding and into the inside of the soffits too, now that airspace acts like a freeway for Chippie's so now it's Critter Combat time... Today they will encounter the Nuclear Solution hahaha... Tobasco Sauce & Garlic Juice mixed with 25% water and strained into a sprayer... Anything the blighters have nibbled on and entry holes are going to get "DOSED" with "the juice". I've seen how well this works on a garden and Ohh Boy they HATE IT and COMPLAIN while running away from it.

You were smart to go with the Hardyboard, no squirrels or chipmunks will bother with it and the hard critter screening was well thought out. Might be a pain in the caboose to install all of it but in the end, you'll be really happy you did.

After I got heat pump installed, I cocooned...lost a family member, then the pandemic hit. Repeatedly driving up to an unclad house began to irritate me. Lot of procrastination with siding options. Clad it in metal, no rain-screening required, but I am, more or less, stuck with color. I went with Hardi (12" wide), but that meant Rain-screening. The siding has to be at least 1/2" off wall to allow drying behind siding. With main floor being ICF, it is considered a 'mass wall', and no rain-screening required. But I failed to account for rain-screening on second floor (first floor flush with second floor), so I just rain-screened all of it. Absolute pain in the .... Felt like I was putting on siding twice. However, after months of fussing, it is almost done.

I did all trim in metal (no rot for me...see how long the metal finish lasts). First pic shows rain-screening. I used 3/4" PT ply strips, aluminum bug screen above window.

View attachment 90209

View attachment 90208
View attachment 90207
View attachment 90210
Looks good Meli,

After I got heat pump installed, I cocooned...lost a family member, then the pandemic hit.
I'm sorry to hear about your lose..

Looks beautiful and like your on the home stretch. Be happy you've paid for everything because material costs have gone through the roof.. Makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to afford and start my retirement home.

Discussion starter · #1,027 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your lose..

Looks beautiful and like your on the home stretch. Be happy you've paid for everything because material costs have gone through the roof.. Makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to afford and start my retirement home.
Yeah, material costs....I haven't bought a stick of wood since pandemic.
Yesterday, I bought some 2x4s - 8' long. $9.71! Wow. I seem to recall pre-pandemic, I'd get 2x4 - 10' long for under $5.
I've been told builders are now having to 'secure' their lumber at job sites.
Well, once the DIY'ers run out of money or motivation, prices will come back down.

Discussion starter · #1,028 ·
I finally got some concrete around house. Spanish Gold is the color. I wanted it a touch browner, but I am warming up to color. Too dark, and I'd get depressed in winter.

The concrete finishers nailed it! Power troweled the carport and triple hand troweled the rest. So glad I got the carport power troweled until concrete ‘burned’. It is baby bottom smooth. I was warned too smooth is hazardous for one’s health in winter (slippery). I said it easier to make smooth concrete grippy, than to make a brush finish smooth. Glad I persisted. It is so easy to clean. I’ve since put a sealer on it. I can walk out my door with socks on. That was the prime directive. I might be a tad OCD with my dust mop. It really is easy to clean and wash. I have a floor squeegee. I can dry the pad in a minute. I am not finding it slippery at all.

I went a little heavy on rebar when forming up forms. The plus is when/if pad cracks, they will not grow in width.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #1,029 ·
Got my first fruit tree planted (one of those Frankenstein apple jobs - each (4) branch is a different variety). It'll establish over winter. The 'cage' is for marauding deer. I do wish folks liked venison around here. They are like locusts. Unfortunately, my place in on their feeding circuit. Blueberries are in the other cage.

Remember on the"Frankenstein apple job" tree there is usually a fifth grafting, where the trunk is grafted on a robust root-stock... and I've seen that wound area to be the weakest spot on Northern trees...

So don't mulch around trunk, let sun & oxygen help keep fungus & blight away - watering the buried root ball with mild hydrogen peroxide water now should help keep surprises down in the next few years - and make sure there are pockets / slices of lime for roots to seek out if needed to wall off tiny infections...

Looking fine, fine, fine.... thanks for sharing!

Discussion starter · #1,034 ·
Novembers usually suck around here, but occasionally, between deluges, we get some sun.

Cloud Plant Sky Building Leaf

Trying to finish interior...just the ceiling left! My hill-billy kitchen will have to be redone, but not necessary for final. Get that done, I can call for a FINAL (building final). Passed my electrical final (we won't discuss that).
A neighbor joked if I was still at it (building the house), 10 yrs later, he'd worry. I figure it'll be about 5 years from breaking ground.

Picture frame Wood Interior design Building Art

Once I finish ceiling, I'll redo stairwell treads.
Stairs Building Wood House Architecture

Discussion starter · #1,035 ·
Remember on the"Frankenstein apple job" tree there is usually a fifth grafting, where the trunk is grafted on a robust root-stock... and I've seen that wound area to be the weakest spot on Northern trees...

So don't mulch around trunk, let sun & oxygen help keep fungus & blight away - watering the buried root ball with mild hydrogen peroxide water now should help keep surprises down in the next few years - and make sure there are pockets / slices of lime for roots to seek out if needed to wall off tiny infections...

Oh, I did get about 7 apples this year!
I've since planted a Granny Smith...my fav apple tree.

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Tree

I was so excited I got some apples, I sent this pic to my sis. She was mum on the fact she has a couple monster apple trees in her backyard. It was only when her husband sent a pic of his summer project (deck), I noticed her trees. We are talking two of the biggest apple trees I have ever seen in my life! I was killing myself laughing.
A tree with hundreds of apples....possibly, a hundred on the ground. She did say it is a chore cleaning up around the tree. It'll be a while before I am saddled with that chore....😂

H2O2 and lime wedges for trees? Interesting, I am going to look this up.

1,021 - 1,035 of 1,037 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.