Homesteading on the West Coast of Canada (BC) - from scratch

Discussion in 'Homestead Construction' started by melli, May 11, 2016.

1. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

Looks nice.. love rock work. We have lots at the office gardens, lots of big ones with the thought that folks will use them to sit on etc. They do too. I would recommend blue oat grass. I have it the work garden and home. Planted right up against the rocks and it softens the edges beautifully. Doesn't need trimming either. Grows about 3 feet tall and is open growing and survives my zone 3 landscapes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017 at 1:33 AM
    melli and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  2. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Thanks.
    Long ago, I did transplant some native grasses we have growing here, but I couldn't tell what they were...
    Wow, you have ESP? lol
    In that last pic, I did indeed have a picnic on them (neighbors came over and brought me lunch...we sat and ate on those rocks). Understandable, considering I had nowhere to seat a party of 5.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    Echoesechos likes this.

3. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

I miss that NashvilleMama lady, also!!! The folks here sure were tough on her, with the whole "you can't do so and so with a child..." blah blah blah. I made sure to send her a PM that encouraged her instead of discouraging...and pointed out to her that I was doing the same. It sure is unfortunate when someone abandons their dreams because of what others think of them or their plans.

4. Mr Bond

Mr Bond Member

"This particular category has lost it's way, as when I first posted there were several build threads. Not sure if it is the lack of homesteaders, we scared them off or they found a better venue."

So in thanks for all your posts, I've started "A Bedtime Story for Melli" thread in this forum! A brief tale of our Alberta acreage when we first landed in Canada. Hope you enjoy!

5. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

I was rooting for her too. I love that you include pictures to document progress of your efforts Melli. I get lost in nothing but talk. Don't mean to offend anyone but I'm one who has to have visual thrown in to follow along I guess.

6. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

Melli I love following your thread, might have noticed my constant Lurking and occasional chirp.... <snickering grin>... I'm pretty darn busy with Year 3 of 5 in my own project and I did post on another forum (which you browsed through a bit, if I recall) and stopped because I got sick & tired of Armchair Experts and Geniuses telling me what & how to do things... When you can swing a hammer, build something that does not fall over and do it BY YOURSELF with no extra hands, then I will pay attention... 95% of my projects have been with the worlds largest contractor and known to all.... MMI General Contracting... Me, Myself & I ! Me, watched, Myself advises and "I" do all the damned work ! AND those other two yoyo's NEVER EVER LEND A HAND ! You didn't know you were part of the Consortium did ya Melli ? LOL

I was approached from someone on this forum asking me to post a full thread & details of my project as it incorporates many innovations as well as some very "ancient" concepts which work... They stated how they wanted to take that into a publication of some sort and monetize it... Haven't seen my build thread have you.... IF I share something it is for the benefit of ALL and I want no Profit off it... Sorry but NO FERENGI HERE !

I thought Nashville Momma was trying something very difficult and could pull it off with good sound guidance and support but some just went nutso on her... As for doing such with kids being impossible... Utter Hogwash ! I gutted to outer timbers & completely restored a house built in 1886 when my daughters were 2,4 & 6 ! Easy NO but they actually made suggestions and ideas, several of which were incorporated into the reno... Win for us, great ideas and something I would not have considered and a WIN for them because they knew their ideas / opinions were valued, to the point of being included into a major reno... Besides, every kid needs to experience Real World Work, sawdust & sand in their mouths and to see what is possible... NB My EX hated the fact that I listened & encouraged the kids to give me their thoughts... what's especially good with that, is they see & view things without foredrawn conclusions or biases.... they see things more clearly in many ways.

Seems many are on FacePox and doing their shtick there... I will never join such a social ailment so here I sit yapping on a forum which is reasonably generic... (no last names, no one knows WHO I or YOU are or my things and no ego fluffing, self important narcissism) like on FaceBlot...

OK I rambled off a bit BUT it's been one of "those" days and this chilled me out a bit...
    Have a Marvy Day / Evening one and all...

7. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

i've been to several other threads.
    I read the entire thread.
    Some good advice, most didn't apply to me.
    I just keep coming back to your thread because it's more down to earth.
    You will even answer questions without biting my head off.
    You're more practical, open to suggestions.
    Unlike some other threads.
    Whom insist their way is the only way.
    My point of view is live,learn,experience life as you see fit.
    I have always lived my life on my terms.
    Not as some man thinks my life should be.
    I didn't know the other people you mentioned.
    But if you like and approved of them, then they must be good people.
    Not some idiot who is full of himself.
    Everybody have a great day or night.

8. ShannonR

Bookworm, who is that sweet, precious baby in your updated profile pic? If a grandchild or even a Great grandchild, many congrats!!!

MoBookworm1957 and melli like this.
  9. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Thanks MoBookworm! I try to be as approachable as possible, as I am cognizant of the fact that I am a schmuck (Harrison Ford stole that from me!...lol), that my way is most certainly not the best way (far from it). And I am open to critique (seriously, you or anybody see something that could be done better or even differently, I am all eyes). Steve has chimed in with his thoughts in a number of areas, and although I never took all his advice, it made me rethink some aspects of build, an absolute plus (thank you Steve). Made me research something I assumed, yet not verified with hard data.

I am in putter mode...seems my full time commitment has waned, and I've been pulled in other directions (neighbors and landscaping). Been putting up ply, nail removal (I miss the stud on occasion - more than I like...lol), took down a scaffold, that sort of thing.

Also, has certainly got chiller (4C nighttime lows), and much less daylight...entering the dark period. I am one of the more fortunate souls in Canada, as we rarely see freezing temps. 4-1/2mths of short days and rainy weather til I see signs of spring. The one huge downside (really, the only downside) of where I live, is very little sun during winter...not to say we don't get any, but in all of Canada, probably the least near the border. Of course, if you live way north, well, the sun disappears for a couple of weeks, so I cannot complain. Most Canadians refer to us as Lotusland because of our mild winters (I used to live in the prairies, and wow, some serious cold, and it seemed like 6mths of winter...lol).

20171011_132515b.jpg
    Odd thing, 'good one side' (G1S) ply was the same price as standard ply, so I got the G1S ply...you can see the difference in color. Something I never noticed, as I never bought G1S ply in bulk (usually more expensive), is that it lays flatter. BTW - G1S ply is exactly like regular ply, except one side has a completely smooth surface. Any knots are filled in...usually used for floors.

20171011_133939b.jpg
    20171011_134751b.jpg
    I do like picture taking...one thing I noticed is nice glow down stairwell...will be nice in winter (door for deck on 2nd floor will be a 'full light' door - a full length window in door).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 5:38 PM
  10. MoBookworm1957

That's my first grand child. A grand daughter.
    She was unplanned, but she is oh so loved regardless.
    She's 3 months old, rolling over,trying to hold her own bottle.
    She holds her head up fairly well.
    She making baby noises,blowing spit bubbles.
    She likes to talk to Granny.
    Her name is Estelle.
    Strawberry is tired, she's put herself to bed already.
    We had Estelle today.

ShannonR, Mr Bond and melli like this.
  11. Steve_S

OHHH MY you haven't taken all my advice... Ohhh you naughty naughty little bush gurl you ! ROFLOL... I gave you advice ?... hmmm suggestions & thoughts with a dose of ramblings.... so I thought... Malleable as lead dear...

There is something in the Motivational Breeze past few days me thinks... Had some unexpected diversions (emergency major front end repair to truck - ouched the $$) which stressed me a bit (quite a bit) and then a few more things go topsy turvy and now.... just anti-motivated... and getting darker sooner don't help... single digit nights... impending doom of the "stuff"... I think in part for me is because I have to get back to my least favourite job of all.. Mudding Drywall... Ohh I so HATE plasterwork and never wanted a spec of that crud in my shack... 3 days of that if all goes well and then no more and onto better things... Hope that will fix motivational drive...

@MoBookworm1957 Babies are a joy IMO, such fond memories of coddling my little ones, bath times with splashes & giggles with ample silliness to go around... reading to them at night, even at 6 months old, just something I got into doing very early and loved it, nice way to wind down for me at end of day, in any case... folks thought I was nuts (babies can't understand), including Missus but was good for baby & dad... wore out quite a few "Golden Books" reading to the gang as they grew... Ahhhh the good ol days...

12. MoBookworm1957

Thanks Steve,
    I love it when she helps Granny hold the little books.
    Today we are learning about baby animals along with sound effects.
    Yesterday we learned about color. Being she had a colorful outfit on.

ShannonR, Steve_S and melli like this.
  13. ShannonR

Awwwww, how perfect!! They are so precious at that age

MoBookworm1957 and melli like this.
  14. MoBookworm1957

It takes me ten minutes to pick Strawberry's tools at night.
    And it takes 30 minutes to pick up Estelle's stuff at night.
    It's funny to watch Strawberry try to share her toys with Estelle.
    Yesterday Estelle got a hold of Strawberries ear. She was trying to put it her mouth.
    Strawberry just sat there patiently, until she was putting in her mouth.
    then she shook her head, gave Estelle slurp kiss.
    Think they will be buddies for life much to dad's dismay

no really, Steve_S and ShannonR like this.
  15. MoBookworm1957

Ear going into Estelle's mouth

Attached Files:

melli, ShannonR and no really like this.
  16. Steve_S

LMAO... Mo you just reminded me how our Siberian Husky thought the kids were HER PUPS - we got the dog about a year before #1 was born so by the time baby arrived Dog settled into being who she was... a well versed and opinionated pooch who always had a comment or lecture at paw... BUT when the kids started popping out, Mommy Dog mode kicked in and they could quite literally do pretty much anything to her without as much as a peep and PROTECTIVE too... The dog didn't have a mean bone in her, not even a smidge BUT she freaked out some Mormon Missionaries who came by... They were chatting with Missus when one got up suddenly, we saw our Siberian jump up get between baby & the visitors, bear down growling, showing teeth and fur up on her back ! When you have a 80lb, Red/Tan Siberian with those crystal blue eyes that peer THROUGH you get angry, you SEE the wolf / wild potentials there.... surprised us and shocked them while baby giggled and yanked on her tail... geez, I miss my ol Pupper Toes, she was one fantastic dog (excepting the fur of course, which you could knit a new dog every 3 months or so....)

melli, ShannonR and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  17. ShannonR

What a beautiful little girl!!! You guys all look like you're having tons of fun.

melli and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  18. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

A sunny day! Forecast...cloudy and rainy til March.
    I won't be posting much as I am pulled away from build helping other folks. Such is life. And showing sheathing progression pics is probably not very entertaining. I do have to come up with a way to get the last row up, as I cannot use my current method of rope, pulling up sheets. And the scaffold I've put up is not tall enough...Problem is, I don't want to attach scaffold to 2nd floor wall as I will be sheathing it with XPS foam and house wrap/strapping, then siding. Or maybe house wrap, foam, strapping, then siding...haven't decided on order yet. I should get windows first before I go there...

20171013_130330a.jpg
    20171013_130353a.jpg

MoBookworm1957 and no really like this.
  19. MoBookworm1957

We do.
    When Granny reads animal books. Granny does the sound effects too.

ShannonR and melli like this.
  20. Tomjracer

Tomjracer Member

melli likes this.