Homesteading on the West Coast of Canada (BC) - from scratch

Discussion in 'Homestead Construction' started by melli, May 11, 2016.

1. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

Melli, just highlighting some of what we both know but also for other readers - learned long time ago to never assume what someone else knows and is such a forum, who will come along later and read... Even with that I sometimes don't think of the blatantly obvious till I go *** was I thinking and WHY didn't I do that in the first place & FacePalm !

We chatted a bit about the venting and trickery for that & it occurred to me that in one of my references there is good "Pictures" and light explanation for the different roof systems and a pic is worth a thousand words, plus may help others reading the treat when contemplating their own project... I think about the others reading threads today, next year or 5 years down the road and sometimes codes/rules etc change and better to know what we are talking about 'today' versus what might be tomorrow... Hopefully this will be helpful for you & others too...

Have a Marvy Day, check in this evening and see the thread... I have Electrical & Drywall battles to fight today & tomorrow... BTW price of copper wire has gone NUTS ! 4.50 a foot for #6/3 NMWU (just dropped Large & shocked over the increase previous purchase price a year ago)

roof-venting-1.jpg roof-venting-2.jpg

ShannonR, MoBookworm1957 and melli like this.
  2. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Always a fan of pics. I know the last two 'hot roofs' would never pass muster on the coast here. Always has to be some roof ventilation. And we never use cardboard baffles (foam roof baffles - look like foam egg cartons, but 14" wide). I'll be using standoffs so I cannot crush air cavity when packing it with Roxul.
    Have fun...;)
    Electrical I enjoy, drywall, not so much...

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. Steve_S

"Hot Roof 1" with the foam would pass BUT only if it was completed as a Cool Roof as we discussed previously, likely would pass there too. Also consider that SIPS used for a roof is a solid hardcore block and you wanna prevent the heat of the sub hitting that.

MoBookworm1957 and melli like this.
  4. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Oh, ok, I see, the last two are not a completed roof...the first one's (non hot roof examples) appear to be ok with underlay and roofing.
    I see 'now', the first hot roof has open air exposed cathedral framing...drying from one side, ok. The second has insulation on both sides of inner OSB...not so good (that one is a non-starter here).

5. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

Melli,
    I enjoy reading about your journey with your home.
    Gives me ideas,running numbers now.
    But first things first, have to pay dad off for sales tax loan on new to me car.
    Then cousin and I need to come to agreement on plans for the families home place.
    My dad has final say as he is last living member of family.
    Besides his kids and the cousins.
    Right now trying to help cousin bring the homestead back up to par.
    Like it was when she moved out there.
    With the condition of home place now, my dad is not happy camper.
    No by long shot.
    Pipes froze last winter and instead of telling somebody she didn't.
    Fences are down all over the place.
    Horse weeds are taller than some of the barns.
    Needless to say, my dad is peed od.
    As it is right now, dad says I can move in the main house.
    Start the improvements on the main house.
    Fencing,barns,chicken house etc.
    Except I don't want the main house, i want one of the barns as my house.
    I have been working fencing on two pastures side by side, just about done with both.
    Just need to finish on section of fence in one,put the gate up in the other.
    Already got the stock tank,hay bunker,feed trough in the one pasture.
    It will be ready for calves in the spring.
    Went over and talked to dad tonight, when he goes out to inspect home place don't have another heart attack.
    They put stint in last week.
    My brother is going with him to inspect the home place.
    The barn I want is 5 acres away from my cousin.
    Dad is livid.
    My cousin will end up with 5 acres if she's lucky.
    When I get my part of the home place up to my standards.
    Which are Army standards( Army veteran here) by the way.
    I will go ahead and help cousin out too.
    The pastures are on section of the home place I want.
    My barn is built in the side of good side hill, loft is above the hill.

melli likes this.
  6. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Must see a pic of this barn! Sounds intriguing....
    It sounds like you have your hands full, with family and a running cattle operation. I liked cattle when we lived on farm, except the butchering part...and I love beef (go figure). We kids even raised a steer each for 4-H. Took care of them better than a horse...lol. Like pets, until weigh-in.

Unfortunately, I don't have the pasture land for cattle, and it might be a bit much for me. Chickens, goat, sheep are probably up my alley. But, I do have to get a big honkin fence installed...after build is done, that'll be next on agenda.
    All the best!

7. Steve_S

My 4H Cow was called Cucumber and to this day I miss her, she was such a sweetie (to me anyways - she hated my dad, he hit her once with a shovel - never got close to her again). Her Name ? She would find a way of always circumventing any fence or gate and would clean out the cucumbers in our Garden - twas so funny to watch mom chase her with a broom back into the Barn Yard... But if I went out I could just walk up to her, give her a snuggle & scruffle her behind the ears and she'd follow me wherever I went.

Sorry off topic but mentioned 4H Cow and so many good memories... People laughed when I rode her and she'd happily let me, as long as I was in the right spot, otherwise on my kiester I'd go...

@MoBookworm
    Family can be such a ... at times and unlike friends you can't pick / choose family. I hope your dad's health improves and things get better all around. The Idea of converting an old barn into a home was something I had pondered as well, seen a few and such potential... Hopefully you'll start a thread on it as you get going, that would definitely get a lot of watchers I think. There are a few old barns in my area that would make for amazing conversions but building codes being what they are... I could only imagine how many issues a Building Inspector would have...

8. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Do your raven friends swipe shiny objects from you? They LOVE shiny stuff

9. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Haha...no worries at all. I like hearing stories of their 'pet' cow. Still, I am soft that way, and although I help put meat on table, butchering our charges...and we fed them mixed grain, which any cow would love. Dad accused us of raiding mixed feed grainery (guilty). No wonder ours tipped the scales at judging.

But my fav animal (and my pet), and one we actually kept for years, until we moved away, was a ram. I wasn't with siblings when they picked up the baby ewes, and I got stuck with the runt, a baby ram as they figured it wouldn't live. Ha. My TLC had 'Harry' fit as a fiddle in no time, and he naturally outgrew the ewes. Unfortunately, a neighbor's dog killed the ewes, but Harry persevered all by himself. He had a habit of sneaking up on folks, from behind, and bunting them into next week, even me. You'd be staring at something, then wham. Dad got so pissed he took a 2x4 to his head. It was in Harry's blood to test out his ramming ability. Whack him enough, and he'd submit (get on knees). But next day, he'd forget and the bunting started all over again. So, first thing one did after leaving house, was find out where Harry was....and keep an eye on him. A fun ride, a big ball of wool to hang onto. Sometimes he'd oblige and take us for a ride.

10. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

No, I haven't noticed that with Momma and Pappa. They do like Granola Cereal though (with mixed nuts) and of course, hot dogs. I say hot dog! And they are on it in seconds.
    At Christmas it was chilly here, and I gave them the Turkey carcas, and within a minute or two the whole carcass was gone...
    I can hear them, usually around dusk, and they are side by side, talking to each other in cute little grunts and whatnot (pillow talk).
    The female is the talker though, and if I don't deliver, she storms off in a huff. And if I retort with a 'haw', she replies with a unhappy 'haw haw haw'. I retort again, and she replies again, until she is like a mile away..lol
    She has to get the last word in. I even catch her spying on me. She'll find a roost where she can look in my windows and see what's cooking. Scared the crap out of me one day, when I look up, and see her eyeballing me in RV.
    As I mentioned a while back, they are a good early warning system for bears, owls and coyotes. They'll harass them until they move on.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    MoBookworm1957 and ShannonR like this.
  11. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Finally got strapping done...about 684ft of 2x4s...
    Seems like it was more than that...lol
    Now, I get to chop off far end...I'll use a level from beam end, and mark, then do other beam, and mark. Then, I'll snap a chalk line between marks. Run my worm saw up chalk line chopping ends off, so I have a straight line. I'll then have to attach a 2x4 'L' on the underside so I can attach fascia down a bit. Going to be fun, as I'll be messing along edge of roof (heights are not my thing anymore).
    Going to be a slow production day...but once fascia is up, I can motor on the ply, as I'll have edges to work with.
    Supposed to finally get rain on weekend...not sure if I'll get roof sheathed and get underlay down...it'll be close. But if I do, it'll be celebration time, as 2/3 of build will be dry underneath, forever...
    I have a tarp big enough to cover 2nd floor portion, so hopefully, I won't see rain on floor.

20170807_145634 (Large).jpg 20170807_145737 (Large).jpg

12. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Yep, hangin on edge of roof is not my cup of tea...clears the pores though.
    At least I got the 'hanger' for fascia on. Never been down this road before, so it took some time to figure out how to hang fascia lower than the 2x4 strapping. Made a 'L' shaped bracket out of 2x4s and tucked it under 2x4 strapping...it now gives me a surface to nail the fascia to. I also made blocking (with an 'L' notch) that would catch the bracket as I installed it, and it serves to tighten up the eave (most framers do this on gable ends).
    Crazy...but now I have a edge (know where to stop with ply sheathing). The little 2x4 nubs are spacers, so when fascia is on, I can nail a mini sub fascia to cover top gap, as main fascia will be down lower. Bit convoluted, but it'll turn out well, given my options.

20170808_134906 (Edited).jpg
    20170808_134828 (Large).jpg

ShannonR and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  13. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

It took some doing to get a piece of fascia (2x12 - 18') over the edge and screwed in place (roof rack straps and clamps). Just wanted to post a pic of the 'look'. A very small 'combed' piece (1x3 or 1x4) will cover the top gap.

20170809_145142 (Large).jpg

Now, I can motor with sheathing...

14. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

A slog with Fascia, but one more big chunk, and two tiny ones, and that nightmare is over. Think I bruised a rib laying flat while I hung onto fascia bracket...felt a rib pop or something...I'm told it isn't cracked, or I'd be in serious pain. Does hurt to inhale deeply. A sharp pain is supposed mean a cracked rib, but a dull pain is muscle/ligament pull...I can't tell the difference, it just hurts. Now, I have to use the other side of rib cage when lying down working over edge, which makes thing awkward...lol

Not going to beat rain this weekend by getting underlay on. I have tarps I'll have to throw over. About 75% done sheathing on main floor roof.

20170811_135345 (Large).jpg

15. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

My rib cage seems to be getting worse...maybe ligaments/muscles are tightening up from strain. Found a thick full length seat cushion helps when I am laying down with head over roof edge screwing in fascia (should have done that in first place). No more big fascia chunks...thankfully.
    That top fascia is a composite of three chunks as two 18' wouldn't span the rafters tails. Hard to see the seams...a good thing (plus I'll be caulking the screw holes and seams, then painting).
    Have it tarped up for tonight's rain...indoor work tomorrow if the roof isn't leaking too badly.

20170812_123221 (Large).jpg
    20170812_123449 (Large).jpg

16. oldtruckbbq

oldtruckbbq Well-Known Member

The top picture is absolutely amazing. No wonder you decided to build there. How much acreage do you have?

17. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Almost the same as you, 4.7 acres, to be exact. No building restrictions, no nothing. Mind you, I have no city services other than power and fiber.
    Kinda wishing I had the dough for a 20 acre lot down the road, a few years back (they wanted 225-250k, now double I suspect). Absolutely nothing wrong with my place, but the extra elbow room would have been fun to play with...can have some neat trails in 20 acres of heavy forest, plus I would have some coin off the timber.

But who am I kidding, I have my hands full...lol
    Looking forward to seeing you get your place off the ground.

18. oldtruckbbq

We though about buying a bigger place, but took a look at what we can handle with us both working and heading into our retirement years. The 5.3 acres we have is going to be enough to keep us busy for a long time.

melli likes this.
  19. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Yep, as I thought about your statement, it rings true for me...not even sure I'll ever get around to building another house.
    Especially being solo. Almost glad I have an underlying optimism not based on reality...haha...on the surface, I am always cautious or pessimistic. Had I really known what it would have taken, I would have looked for a rundown homestead, a fixer upper. I think with two of you, it will make a world of difference. Not so much getting things done twice as fast, but having help does make life easier (shoulder to lean on).

A month ago, I was trying to adjust my concrete pylons with Bobby, but with the blade method I couldn't do 'finesse' movements. Then, I tried sledge hammer and chuck of wood method...it worked, but geesh, movement was slow and my joints ached. I then noticed the tall post needed a 1" nudge. Well, I came up with a good sledge hammer...Bobby's cleanup bucket full of gravel. Too jarring to machine to do it without any fill in bucket, but with bucket filled, it acted like a sledge. Tapping the post via wood block allows one to do fine adjustments. No more adjusting...finished.

20170813_115549 (Large).jpg

You can see how much pylon moved by looking at dirt at base

20170813_115617 (Large).jpg

Steve_S likes this.
  20. oldtruckbbq

I've thought and thought about buying a mini excavator, but really need to use that cash for getting the house built. I think I'll do everything I can prior to needing a mini excavator, then rent one for a week, especially because there will be times I'll need a skid steer with a bucket instead of a mini excavator. The $750 cash outlay for a week will be easier on my pocketbook than shelling out the $ for an excavator or adding another payment.

Just my opinion, but I would think your construction efforts would be better spent on something other than another house, like a workshop/garage. The bunker you are building is looking really nice, and it is definitely well made. My wife and I would be very happy with that as a house.

melli likes this.