Homesteading Land in Kansas!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oakhillhubbards, Mar 24, 2004.

1. oakhillhubbards

oakhillhubbards Well-Known Member

Well, we've seen messages pop up now and again about a modern Homestead Act, and everynow and then there is info available....

Here's one that came across MSNBC today!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4586832/

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

50 acres divided into 80 lots.....Good size for a lot in town.

3. oakhillhubbards

Well, yes....but the part that interested me was that 10 other communities in KS are doing HS'ing..... and here's a clip

Also, Congress is considering a homesteading law to reward people who relocate to rural areas with tax breaks and other economic incentives.

J

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

5. Qvrfullmidwife

They may be giving land away but I am not too sure that I would call it homesteading...

"The land giveaway began last May, after the town bought 50 acres of farmland and divided it into 80 building lots"

that is less than an acre a parcel...hard to homestead on that.

"So far, four $100,000 three-bedroom homes have been built"

6. tnmom22

tnmom22 Member

I did some searching about the other towns - what I found was Atwood, McDonald, marquette, Minneapolis, Ellsworth, Kanapolis, Holyrood, and Wilson. The lots are of a good size for city lots, but not big enough for a horse. I plan on calling around to these towns tomorrow to see what restrictions they have, etc. Although, now that this has hit national news (I found the story on Yahoo), these lots may not last long. I'm interested in what Congress is considering, though, if this doesn't work for us.

7. Qvrfullmidwife

One restriction thatthey do nothave was homeschooling...the way the article was written it sounded as if they were after students to swell the numbers at the local school as much as anything else. A friend called and asked if they had limitations, pointing out that the tax revenue is the same as homeschoolers pay taxes as well. She was told that homeschooling woudl not disqualify one.

I just wondered what they were after...sounds like they were looking mainly for people who would come and build nice houses in nice neighborhoods, not necessarily homesteading types, even though that may be what they are calling it.

8. My current lot in a town of about 3000 is .74, so that would be a downsize in all except the age and condition of the house. My house is a stick built 50's type. As far as Homeschooling goes, Kansas state law is very lax-allowing for parental notice only, and the local governmental bodies have no authority to aprove, disaprove or qualify teachers or curriculums. I don't believe the local town could override the law-however, in a town of that small size, chances are the local school would be encouraged as a "community" thing, as I think the article said there were like, 124 students? I think, for me, if they were offereing an acre or more, that would be worth a 100k house in a town that size. JMHO :)

9. oakhillhubbards

You know, I'm wondering about this whole thing....

you all have heard (heck, it may have been here that I first heard about it) about the contractors convincing a town to "condemn" farm property in order to increase the tax base by putting in a sub-division.

Do you think that's what's going on here?

curious. Because when you think about it, and I bet on further investigation, we'd find out that the contractors are going to make out like bandits, and there are probably all kinds of rules about not being your own contractor......

J