Homesteading internet surfing...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 28, 2004.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I thought i would share with you the newest in internet surfing... I learned of it from news.com. Its called Firefox and resembles IE a lot. Go ahead and read.

http://news.com.com/Firefox+aims+for+10+percent+of+Web+surfers/2100-1032_3-5425918.html?tag=nefd.pop

It can do everything (so far) that IE can do, but there aren't any pop ups!!!!!! that i've noticed. Its great and I hope Micro$oft IE gets its monopoly taken away. The download is around 5mb, so its not that big.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Go ahead and try it out. All of you favorites and passwords and stuff can be imported in. I had spyware corrupt one computer of mine so bad that i had to do a clean install of XP. I won't use IE again. I've used Firefox for a week now.

Going good!!!

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Another good thing about FireFox is that it's not as big a target for virus's as IE. IE is generally the target of attacks.

3. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

The best part of Firefox for me is tabbed browsing.
    Need to open a new window? Don't want several browsers open at once?, You just right click on a link and tell it to open in a new tab

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Works really well if you have vision problems. You can get the text as large as you need. Does good job blocking pop ups and ad ware.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I am trying to load it now myself, its cornored in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch in my XP (2nd service pkg. equiped) system as a download but I do not know how to procede.

6. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

YES!
    I had forgotten that feature but just hit control + and, BINGO larger text.
    Works for these old eyes.

7. rj_in_MA

rj_in_MA Well-Known Member

You can also block 'Flash' ads with Ctrl+Shift+F
    My favorite feature! :D

8. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I love Mozilla Firefox - best thing since the internet and no crashing, it is all I use and if a site isn't compatible, I can either fire up IE or just skip it.

Maybe this is the alternative to IE - just don't tell old Bill Gates, he'll figure out a way to squash it or buy it.....shhhhhh, keep it quiet!!

Sidepasser

9. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I've been using firefox maybe a month or so and it works great. much better than IE

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

www.opera.com Opera browser is always worth a try also. In recent times, I've found it a bit flakier than Firefox, but it is a respectably good browser.

And if you really want to get away from big Bill, go look at Puppy Linux. This is a mini linux distribution that is designed to run entirely off ram memory. Can get it into ram memory off cd or flash card or usb key or numerous other ways although I tend to like installing it to a hardrive the old fashioned way. It has come a long way and is quite stable and reliable. There is a version that comes with latest Firefox and there is a version that comes with latest Opera. Reasonable download. Whole thing around 50mb. http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ Yes you can add java and flash, etc if you want them.

11. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

search drive C:\ for the file Firefox Setup 1.0PR.exe

once you find it double click and it will install..

Ive also used Opera--good also, but Firefox seems to be almost an IE clone. I've also used Linux a few years back. I should really try it again.

12. paulat333

paulat333 Member

We have Macs and use OSX for our operating system. We love it and we have very little trouble with viruses, etc. Most viruses are tailored to Windows PCs because there are so many more of them. We had been using IE for Mac, but recently started using the Safari browser that comes with OSX and I love that. Sounds similar to the browsers you're talking about, no pop-ups, able to increase text. It's also much faster than IE, even on our not-so-new computer.

Paula

13. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

What is IE and browser?.....I know,....I'm stupid.

14. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

IE is Internet Explorer and is the web search tool that comes packaged with Windows programs like Windows XP or 2000. The browser is the web search tool, it is termed that because you "browse" the internet using it.

Sidepasser

and no, you aren't stupid, and there is no such thing as a stupid question!

15. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

16. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

I've been using Firefox about 6 months now and would never want to go back to IE. On the rare occasions I can't get a site in Firefox I have to open IE and it reminds me once again how much better Firefox is!! I love the tabs, and also the toolbar that you can customize with your frequently visited websites so they are always just a click away. Its terrific--- well worth paying for, and even better because its FREE!